Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Frequency Domain Analysis

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to simulate a 3-D beam in COMSOL v4.3. This beam is free in one end, and in the other end, I want to applied a sinusoidal boundary displacement input D(t)= Damp*sin(2*pi*f*t).

In the Frequency Domain study, I can add varying frequencies, but how to apply that boundary excitation? I am not using structural mechanics modulus but using PDE weak forms instead.

Thank you very much

Dan

3 Replies Last Post 2012年11月1日 GMT-4 02:55
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年10月31日 GMT-4 15:50
Hi

a frequency domain solver expects only amplitudes as external loads, there is no "t" time variabe,
For the equations it's using standard harmonic notations: d/dt is replaced by j*omega, and d^2/dt^2 by -omega^2, where omega = 2*pi*freq.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi a frequency domain solver expects only amplitudes as external loads, there is no "t" time variabe, For the equations it's using standard harmonic notations: d/dt is replaced by j*omega, and d^2/dt^2 by -omega^2, where omega = 2*pi*freq. -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年10月31日 GMT-4 17:36

Hi

a frequency domain solver expects only amplitudes as external loads, there is no "t" time variabe,
For the equations it's using standard harmonic notations: d/dt is replaced by j*omega, and d^2/dt^2 by -omega^2, where omega = 2*pi*freq.

--
Good luck
Ivar

Thanks a lot, Ivar.

Are "omega" and "j" the default variables defined inside COMSOL, or should I define by myself somewhere?

Dan
[QUOTE] Hi a frequency domain solver expects only amplitudes as external loads, there is no "t" time variabe, For the equations it's using standard harmonic notations: d/dt is replaced by j*omega, and d^2/dt^2 by -omega^2, where omega = 2*pi*freq. -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Thanks a lot, Ivar. Are "omega" and "j" the default variables defined inside COMSOL, or should I define by myself somewhere? Dan

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年11月1日 GMT-4 02:55
Hi

these are defined by COMSOL when you change the solver type, just as COMSOl defines "t" for time when you do a time solver analysis

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi these are defined by COMSOL when you change the solver type, just as COMSOl defines "t" for time when you do a time solver analysis -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.