Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

structure mechanics / spring foundation or thin elastic layer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I have the following problem: I have a thin aluminum plate that I have mounted on foam. This plate I encourage an impulse hammer, so that it is excited to vibrate. I measure the vibrations with an accelerometer. My problems are the boundary conditions. How can I store the plate to foam or rubber storage? My ideas:
- "spring foundation": boundary (underside)
- "spring foundation": 4 defined points at the bottom
- place the plate on 4 blocks, which are "spring foundation"
- place the plate on 4 blocks and make a “thin elastic layer” between the objects.

These approaches are right? The plate moves down, but does not begin to oscillate. When I fixed one side of the plate (fixed constrained), the plate begin to oscillate. But in reality the plate is not fixed. How do I have to set the boundary conditions and how do I use the existing conditions right?

I don’t know the values for the spring type, loss damping factor, viscous damping. Do I have to define a contact pair?

For tips I would be very grateful!

Greetings

Matthias

0 Replies Last Post 2012年11月6日 GMT-5 09:53
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Matthias Becker

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.