Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Circular Polarization in Wave Optics Module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I tried to model the effect of circular polarlized light on a 2D hole array with some angle of incidence. In the input port, I chose periodic port and set the electric field to be to make a circular polarized light. However, at a high angle of incidence (>40 degree), the total of reflectance, absorptance, and transmittance is higher than 1 which doesn't make sense. Is this the correct way to make a circular polarized light?

5 Replies Last Post 2023年9月9日 GMT-4 19:00
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 9 months ago 2023年8月10日 GMT-4 10:32
  1. You might want to post your .mph file to the forum.
  2. I'm confused by your 3-component specification of the electric field. Do you have detailed pictures of your geometry, the desired incident wave-vector (k) direction, and your coordinate system?
-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
1. You might want to post your .mph file to the forum. 2. I'm confused by your 3-component specification of the electric field. Do you have detailed pictures of your geometry, the desired incident wave-vector (k) direction, and your coordinate system?

Posted: 8 months ago 2023年9月6日 GMT-4 21:01
Updated: 8 months ago 2023年9月6日 GMT-4 21:03

My .mph file is too big but this is my structure.

My .mph file is too big but this is my structure.

Posted: 8 months ago 2023年9月7日 GMT-4 09:27
Updated: 8 months ago 2023年9月7日 GMT-4 09:22
  1. I don't understand why you have a periodic port anywhere in this model.
  2. Also, I still don't understand your specification of the vector electric field. Among other questions, why would you set Ey = 1 ? I encourage you to re-think your vector analyses here.
  3. You can reduce the size of your .mph file by selecting "study" from the top toolbar, then "clear all solutions" from the ribbon, then select "mesh" from the toolbar and then "clear all built meshes" from the ribbon. If you then save that file, it will almost certainly be less than 5 MB.
-------------------
1. I don't understand why you have a *periodic* port anywhere in this model. 2. Also, I still don't understand your specification of the vector electric field. Among other questions, why would you set Ey = 1 ? I encourage you to re-think your vector analyses here. 3. You can reduce the size of your .mph file by selecting "study" from the top toolbar, then "clear all solutions" from the ribbon, then select "mesh" from the toolbar and then "clear all built meshes" from the ribbon. If you then save that file, it will almost certainly be less than 5 MB.

Posted: 8 months ago 2023年9月8日 GMT-4 22:53
Updated: 8 months ago 2023年9月8日 GMT-4 22:48

Thank you so much! This is my mph file. The previous formula is for alpha = 0 but in this file I derived E for having both alpha and theta. I hope I didn't make any mistake.

Thank you so much! This is my mph file. The previous formula is for alpha = 0 but in this file I derived E for having both alpha and theta. I hope I didn't make any mistake.

Posted: 8 months ago 2023年9月9日 GMT-4 19:00
Updated: 8 months ago 2023年9月9日 GMT-4 19:11

Well, I don't have the wave optics module, but now I can see why you want to use periodic ports (which will model an infinite array -- this may differ somewhat in behavior from the finite array in the earlier picture that you posted). Anyway, it helps the forum that you posted the model. I encourage those who have the wave optics module to take a look at your file and to offer suggestions.

-------------------
Well, I don't have the wave optics module, but now I can see why you want to use periodic ports (which will model an *infinite* array -- this may differ somewhat in behavior from the finite array in the earlier picture that you posted). Anyway, it helps the forum that you posted the model. I encourage those who have the wave optics module to take a look at your file and to offer suggestions.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.