Can't create a mesh

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Comsol-Community,

I am utterly failing to create a mesh for my model. I tried using this guide as well as swept meshes from this guide.

Nevertheless, I always obtain some error or another and am wondering if someone can give me advice on how to best approach this mesh.

Best, Matthias

6 Replies Last Post 2023年12月9日 GMT-5 07:11
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 5 months ago 2023年12月8日 GMT-5 12:19

Hi Matthias,

the mesher completes when I set the it to 'finer'. However, it throws a few warnings and shows the locations. You may want to check those spots for geometry errors. CAD imports are often not optimized for meshing and have small inconstistencies that do not disturb for manufacturing but kill a mesher. You can run the model despite the warnings of course and see if it looks reasonable.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi Matthias, the mesher completes when I set the it to 'finer'. However, it throws a few warnings and shows the locations. You may want to check those spots for geometry errors. CAD imports are often not optimized for meshing and have small inconstistencies that do not disturb for manufacturing but kill a mesher. You can run the model despite the warnings of course and see if it looks reasonable. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 5 months ago 2023年12月8日 GMT-5 13:40

Hi Matthias,

the mesher completes when I set the it to 'finer'. However, it throws a few warnings and shows the locations. You may want to check those spots for geometry errors. CAD imports are often not optimized for meshing and have small inconstistencies that do not disturb for manufacturing but kill a mesher. You can run the model despite the warnings of course and see if it looks reasonable.

Cheers Edgar

Hi Edgar,

thanks for your answer!

That's weird though because just running the mesher with the setting "finer" does not compile for me. I get the following error:

Failed to generate mesh for domain. - Domain: 5 Failed to respect edge element on geometry edge. - Edge: 622 Failed to move mesh point in domain. - x-coordinate: 8.9935 - y-coordinate: 8.70001 - z-coordinate: -0.411481

Cheers, Matthias

>Hi Matthias, > >the mesher completes when I set the it to 'finer'. However, it throws a few warnings and shows the locations. >You may want to check those spots for geometry errors. CAD imports are often not optimized for meshing and have small inconstistencies that do not disturb for manufacturing but kill a mesher. >You can run the model despite the warnings of course and see if it looks reasonable. > >Cheers >Edgar Hi Edgar, thanks for your answer! That's weird though because just running the mesher with the setting "finer" does not compile for me. I get the following error: > Failed to generate mesh for domain. > - Domain: 5 > Failed to respect edge element on geometry edge. > - Edge: 622 > Failed to move mesh point in domain. > - x-coordinate: 8.9935 > - y-coordinate: 8.70001 > - z-coordinate: -0.411481 Cheers, Matthias

Posted: 5 months ago 2023年12月8日 GMT-5 13:41
Updated: 5 months ago 2023年12月8日 GMT-5 13:49

Sorry, I was using fine, not finer. I guess you won't get around fixing the geometry. Look at the coordinates the mesher errors or warnings point at.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Sorry, I was using fine, not finer. I guess you won't get around fixing the geometry. Look at the coordinates the mesher errors or warnings point at.

Posted: 5 months ago 2023年12月8日 GMT-5 15:32
Updated: 5 months ago 2023年12月8日 GMT-5 15:32

"Fine" is also not working for me.

Hm, anyways, my problem is that I don't know how to fix the geometry. I know where the error is but what would I have to change at the given error? It says it can't move the mesh point in the domain but that doesn't really tell me what is wrong with the geometry.

>Sorry, I was using fine, not finer. I guess you won't get around fixing the geometry. Look at the coordinates the mesher errors or warnings point at. "Fine" is also not working for me. Hm, anyways, my problem is that I don't know how to fix the geometry. I know where the error is but what would I have to change at the given error? It says it can't move the mesh point in the domain but that doesn't really tell me what is wrong with the geometry.

Posted: 5 months ago 2023年12月8日 GMT-5 16:07

It can be many things. Intersections, small discontinuities, sliver faces, etc. I saw many chamfers. You probably need to check in the CAD source. If you have the Design Module you can try the repair functions. I cannot afford the time to analyze your geometry in detail. Try to simplify as far as possible and avoid small features that don't affect the simulation.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
It can be many things. Intersections, small discontinuities, sliver faces, etc. I saw many chamfers. You probably need to check in the CAD source. If you have the Design Module you can try the repair functions. I cannot afford the time to analyze your geometry in detail. Try to simplify as far as possible and avoid small features that don't affect the simulation.

Posted: 5 months ago 2023年12月9日 GMT-5 07:11

Alright, I'll try! Thanks a lot for your help :)

>It can be many things. Intersections, small discontinuities, sliver faces, etc. I saw many chamfers. You probably need to check in the CAD source. If you have the Design Module you can try the repair functions. I cannot afford the time to analyze your geometry in detail. Try to simplify as far as possible and avoid small features that don't affect the simulation. Alright, I'll try! Thanks a lot for your help :)

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.