Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Multiple MEMS devices in parallel using electrical circuit physics ?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

Here is my model: I am simulating a micro piezoelectric systems. The simulation is complex and can take some time. Then, I use the electrical circuit physics to simulate my systems with an output circuit.

But the full device is build with an array of hundreds of piezoelectric systems in parallel. And it is impossible for me to simulate hundreds of systems with the piezoelectric physics (to much computer ressources).

So my question is simple:
It is possible to simulate only one systems with the piezoelectric physics and, with the electrical circuit physics, simulate my device build with 100 piezoelectric systems in parallel ?

Regards,
Ronan Hinchet.

4 Replies Last Post 2012年12月22日 GMT-5 04:18

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年12月21日 GMT-5 11:10
Any idea ? Is it possible with COMSOL ? Did I miss something ?
Any idea ? Is it possible with COMSOL ? Did I miss something ?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年12月21日 GMT-5 11:14
Hi

this is a rather common problem: how to simulate a complex system made out of N identical (assumed so at least) sub systems.

The Only way out, for me, is to carefully study PZT one system, alone, extract a system matrix for it (depending on which parameters in/out you choose) and then pass into a lumped system simulation, either with COMSOL and CIR, or perhaps SPICE, or a Modelica type tool, or even Matlab/Simulink

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi this is a rather common problem: how to simulate a complex system made out of N identical (assumed so at least) sub systems. The Only way out, for me, is to carefully study PZT one system, alone, extract a system matrix for it (depending on which parameters in/out you choose) and then pass into a lumped system simulation, either with COMSOL and CIR, or perhaps SPICE, or a Modelica type tool, or even Matlab/Simulink -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年12月21日 GMT-5 20:51
Hello,

I was hoping that I could find an easier way than that, but finally not.

Thank you a lot for your answer which confirm what I was afraid.

Regards,
Ronan Hinchet.
Hello, I was hoping that I could find an easier way than that, but finally not. Thank you a lot for your answer which confirm what I was afraid. Regards, Ronan Hinchet.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年12月22日 GMT-5 04:18
Hi

From this autumn COMSOL conference presentations, the deveoppers of COMSOL showed us (the users) that they are aware of this issue, and are looking into ways of including such model set-up inside COMSOL, we will certainly see some interesting devlopments in the near future.
Personally, I'm useing COMSOL for the details and MaplSim = Modelica based tool for the lumped modelling approach. I'm really looking forward for a COMSOL to/from Modelica facility, and a "super-element" feature in COMSOL, as now for large systems COMSOL is a bit too short. The Pipe flow module is a type of hybrid approach, for me, but still very interesting and going in the right direction ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi From this autumn COMSOL conference presentations, the deveoppers of COMSOL showed us (the users) that they are aware of this issue, and are looking into ways of including such model set-up inside COMSOL, we will certainly see some interesting devlopments in the near future. Personally, I'm useing COMSOL for the details and MaplSim = Modelica based tool for the lumped modelling approach. I'm really looking forward for a COMSOL to/from Modelica facility, and a "super-element" feature in COMSOL, as now for large systems COMSOL is a bit too short. The Pipe flow module is a type of hybrid approach, for me, but still very interesting and going in the right direction ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.