Periodic boundary condition with an edge on the axis of rotation

Ely Eastman Applied Physics, Quantum Optics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am building a model of a semi-cylindrical resonator and would like to model the modes of the resonator using the electromagnetic waves, beam envelopes method. I have decided that it will be easier to model 1/4 of the cylinder and then use a periodic boundary condition to cut down on the required memory and compute time. I am able to mesh the structure using the physics controlled mesh with a maximum element size ~10 times the wavelength of interest, but when I attempt to run boundary mode analysis on the "ports" of the model (which are just the exposed surfaces found by taking a 1/4 slice), I get an error about being able to calculate a Jacobian on the edge that runs along the central axis of the model. I am assuming that it is because that edge is shared by the source and destination of the periodic boundary condition, but I am not entirely sure how to work around that as there is no option to exclude that edge, and the model is solid so the space really is filled all the way to the axis of rotation.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.