Inductance Values Too Low

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a very well-characterized inductor (a solenoid with 252 turns of 20 AWG wire and an air core) that has a known inductance of 5.00 mH. I have confirmed this measurement with a meter and separately using a resonant circuit, and both give me a value within +/- 0.05 mH. So I think that value is good.

As a validation step, I have copied the geometry into COMSOL and am attempting to recover this same inductance. The file is attached. It's a pretty straightforward simulation with a homogeneous multi-turn coil made of copper immersed in a large air domain. I employ a frequency-domain study and then measure inductance via "mf.LCoil_1" under global evaluation. However, the simulation always gives me an inductance value that is too low: 1.3 mH (irrespective of frequency). I have tried some other inductors, and a similar pattern emerges--the inductance is ~3x too small.

Am I doing something wrong? What kinds of variables have I not thought of and/or what else could I be leaving out of my simulation?

16 Replies Last Post 2024年6月3日 GMT-4 15:49
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 weeks ago 2024年5月29日 GMT-4 18:19

I found an online inductance calculator and plugged in what I thought were reasonable values for your parameters, and it estimated L to be less than 1.5 mH. So, based on that quick check, I'm not convinced that the Comsol model is wrong, if working with your inputs to it. Is there any chance your coil actually has a larger number of turns? That's just a guess.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
I found an online inductance calculator and plugged in what I thought were *reasonable* values for your parameters, and it estimated L to be less than 1.5 mH. So, based on that quick check, I'm not convinced that the Comsol model is wrong, if working with your inputs to it. Is there any chance your coil actually has a larger number of turns? That's just a guess.

Posted: 3 weeks ago 2024年5月29日 GMT-4 19:11

Hi Robert,

This is definitly a good thought! That said, I'm fairly confident that the experimental inductance meausrment is (more or less) correct. That's becuase (A) I have a manufacturer specification, and (B) I have two independent measurements that agree really closely with the specification.

I definitely could be a little off with counting the turns, but I'm pretty confident within 20%. In order to force console to agree with the manufacturer specification, I would need to more than double the number of turns.

Any chance you could send me the online calculator you used? I'd love to check it out.

Hi Robert, This is definitly a good thought! That said, I'm fairly confident that the experimental inductance meausrment is (more or less) correct. That's becuase (A) I have a manufacturer specification, and (B) I have two independent measurements that agree really closely with the specification. I definitely could be a little off with counting the turns, but I'm pretty confident within 20%. In order to force console to agree with the manufacturer specification, I would need to more than double the number of turns. Any chance you could send me the online calculator you used? I'd love to check it out.

Posted: 3 weeks ago 2024年5月30日 GMT-4 00:12

See https://electronbunker.ca/eb/InductanceCalcML.html, among others.

-------------------
See https://electronbunker.ca/eb/InductanceCalcML.html, among others.

Posted: 3 weeks ago 2024年5月30日 GMT-4 14:36

Ok, this is helpful. As you can see from the attached screenshot, I also find the theoretical coil inductance to be quite close to what COMSOL predicts.

Now I have matching theory and simulation, and I separatly have three matching experimental measurments. But the experimental measurments are all much higher than theory/simulation. I can think of several reasons (e.g., self capacitance) that would cause the experimental measurments to be too LOW, but too HIGH is weirder. I recongize that this may be more of a physics question than a COMSOL question, but if anyone has other ideas to think about, I'm all ears!

Ok, this is helpful. As you can see from the attached screenshot, I also find the theoretical coil inductance to be quite close to what COMSOL predicts. Now I have matching theory and simulation, and I separatly have three matching experimental measurments. But the experimental measurments are all much higher than theory/simulation. I can think of several reasons (e.g., self capacitance) that would cause the experimental measurments to be too LOW, but too HIGH is weirder. I recongize that this may be more of a physics question than a COMSOL question, but if anyone has other ideas to think about, I'm all ears!

Posted: 3 weeks ago 2024年5月30日 GMT-4 15:41
Updated: 3 weeks ago 2024年5月30日 GMT-4 15:43

Care to show us a photo of your real-world coil? How do you know the number of turns? Did the manufacturer tell you how many, did they put that in their datasheet, or did you unwind the coil and count them yourself? Also, might there be any non-air but somewhat magnetic material in the core? Finally, are the turns wound around the symmetry axis (like a cylindrical spool of thread, as the model assumes, and which makes this a "short length solenoid" coil) or are they actually wound perpendicular to that, i.e., radially looping in/and out of the hole in the ring, and making this a toroidal coil?

-------------------
Care to show us a photo of your real-world coil? How do you know the number of turns? Did the manufacturer tell you how many, did they put that in their datasheet, or did you unwind the coil and count them yourself? Also, might there be any non-air but somewhat magnetic material in the core? Finally, are the turns wound around the symmetry axis (like a cylindrical spool of thread, as the model assumes, and which makes this a "short length solenoid" coil) or are they actually wound *perpendicular* to that, i.e., radially looping in/and out of the hole in the ring, and making this a *toroidal* coil?

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 weeks ago 2024年5月30日 GMT-4 16:28

I can offer one more option. Use a circular coil instead of numeric and select inner and outer circular edges to define the wire path and you get 5.2 mH.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
I can offer one more option. Use a circular coil instead of numeric and select inner and outer circular edges to define the wire path and you get 5.2 mH.

Posted: 3 weeks ago 2024年5月30日 GMT-4 16:33

Good call. Here are some photos with a cm/mm scale.

Ok, I'll admit that I have NOT unwound the coil in order to count turns. I am just assuming it's uniformly packed throughout. There is definetly nothing in the core, but could there be some sort of anular magnetic material hiding within the coils? Yes, I suppose so... Since the calculator you linked very helpfully gives the total wire length, I'll check that against the resistance of my coil to see if things check out and report back.

Are the photos helpful, or should I take other angles?

Good call. Here are some photos with a cm/mm scale. Ok, I'll admit that I have NOT unwound the coil in order to count turns. I am just assuming it's uniformly packed throughout. There is definetly nothing in the core, but could there be some sort of anular magnetic material hiding within the coils? Yes, I suppose so... Since the calculator you linked very helpfully gives the total wire length, I'll check that against the resistance of my coil to see if things check out and report back. Are the photos helpful, or should I take other angles?

Posted: 3 weeks ago 2024年5月30日 GMT-4 16:47
Updated: 3 weeks ago 2024年5月30日 GMT-4 16:47

No, the resistance per unit length more or less checks out for a 30 m-long piece of 20 AWG wire. Perhaps the photos above will give some other clue. Thank you for your time!

No, the resistance per unit length more or less checks out for a 30 m-long piece of 20 AWG wire. Perhaps the photos above will give some other clue. Thank you for your time!

Posted: 3 weeks ago 2024年5月30日 GMT-4 21:34

Edgar--

Wow! Indeed you do. Would you be able to elaborate on the differences in what COMSOL assumes for the numeric and circular coil types? In general I am quite confused on the proper use of the latter. Are you supposed to always select both the outside and inside edge on the top and the bottom?

Edgar-- Wow! Indeed you do. Would you be able to elaborate on the differences in what COMSOL assumes for the numeric and circular coil types? In general I am quite confused on the proper use of the latter. Are you supposed to always select both the outside and inside edge on the top and the bottom?

Posted: 3 weeks ago 2024年5月31日 GMT-4 02:33

Ben,

I couldn't tell more than the documentation does. As far as I understand things, the circular coil geometry analysis needs a path that corresponds to the average path length in the coil, and selecting inner AND outer edges accounts for that. If you only select an outer edge, the inductance gets too high. It is all in all pretty confusing and what I learn from your case is that coils need to be treated with great attention. And as always: measurement is gold, and I don't see any flaws in your measurements, using an LCR meter and determining resonance. I presume you weren't using huge loops of lead wires to connect things in the lab.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Ben, I couldn't tell more than the documentation does. As far as I understand things, the circular coil geometry analysis needs a path that corresponds to the average path length in the coil, and selecting inner AND outer edges accounts for that. If you only select an outer edge, the inductance gets too high. It is all in all pretty confusing and what I learn from your case is that coils need to be treated with great attention. And as always: measurement is gold, and I don't see any flaws in your measurements, using an LCR meter and determining resonance. I presume you weren't using huge loops of lead wires to connect things in the lab. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 3 weeks ago 2024年5月31日 GMT-4 03:47

I played a little more with your model and I honestly do not understand the discrepancy between the circular and the numeric coil. I encourage you to submit the case to the COMSOL support. It would be nice to let the community know about any outcome in this case.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
I played a little more with your model and I honestly do not understand the discrepancy between the circular and the numeric coil. I encourage you to submit the case to the COMSOL support. It would be nice to let the community know about any outcome in this case. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 3 weeks ago 2024年5月31日 GMT-4 10:09
Updated: 3 weeks ago 2024年5月31日 GMT-4 10:10

Yes... and it would also be nice to know if the on-line impedance calculators (well, at least one) for short solenoids are not to be trusted.

-------------------
Yes... and it would also be nice to know if the on-line impedance calculators (well, at least one) for short solenoids are not to be trusted.

Posted: 3 weeks ago 2024年5月31日 GMT-4 12:25

I am still curious about the difference between circular and numeric coils in this case, and so I have reached out to COMSOL support for clarification. If I learn anything helpful, I will relay the message here.

Putting that asside for now though and setting the coil back to the numeric type, I beleive I may have found the solution... and I must admit that this whole problem appears to be due to a mistake on my part rather than any technical problems.

It is very easy to count the number of turns in the axial direction for my coil. It also APPEARED to be easy to count the number of turns horizontally as well--I could only see 9 turns on the top layer and 8 on the bottom layer. However, digging into the coil a little bit, I realized that the wires are actually better approximated by "hexagonally packed" circles. Per my calculation (see attached image), each column of conductors should only take up about 83% of the circle's diameter. Thus, I now realize that the coil has about 16 layers! Feel free to make fun of me--I had really convinced myself I was right, but I was missing about half of the turns. If I plug 16x30 = 480 turns into COMSOL, it gives me an inductance value of 4.8 mH, which is very much in line with what I would expect. (5.0 mH). Updated simulation is attached.

With my updated geometric picture, I decided to calculate the length of copper wire by hand. I calculated the radius for each layer, found the circumfrance of a loop in that layer, and then multiplied by 30 loops axially. I added up all 16 results and determined the wire length to be about 54.7 m. Assuming 20 AWG wire has 10.15 Ohms/1000ft, I get a resistance of 1.8 Ohms. The actual resistance is 1.95 Ohms--not too bad.

I will say that I can't really get the electronbunker.ca simulation to match as well. I beleive this is because it does not appear to allow for hexagonal packing. It does not permit the radial pitch to be anything less than the total wire diameter.

Thank you both for your help!

I am still curious about the difference between circular and numeric coils in this case, and so I have reached out to COMSOL support for clarification. If I learn anything helpful, I will relay the message here. Putting that asside for now though and setting the coil back to the numeric type, I beleive I may have found the solution... and I must admit that this whole problem appears to be due to a mistake on my part rather than any technical problems. It is very easy to count the number of turns in the axial direction for my coil. It also APPEARED to be easy to count the number of turns horizontally as well--I could only see 9 turns on the top layer and 8 on the bottom layer. However, digging into the coil a little bit, I realized that the wires are actually better approximated by "hexagonally packed" circles. Per my calculation (see attached image), each column of conductors should only take up about 83% of the circle's diameter. Thus, I now realize that the coil has about 16 layers! Feel free to make fun of me--I had really convinced myself I was right, but I was missing about half of the turns. If I plug 16x30 = 480 turns into COMSOL, it gives me an inductance value of **4.8 mH**, which is very much in line with what I would expect. (5.0 mH). Updated simulation is attached. With my updated geometric picture, I decided to calculate the length of copper wire by hand. I calculated the radius for each layer, found the circumfrance of a loop in that layer, and then multiplied by 30 loops axially. I added up all 16 results and determined the wire length to be about 54.7 m. Assuming 20 AWG wire has 10.15 Ohms/1000ft, I get a resistance of 1.8 Ohms. The actual resistance is 1.95 Ohms--not too bad. I will say that I can't really get the electronbunker.ca simulation to match as well. I beleive this is because it does not appear to allow for hexagonal packing. It does not permit the radial pitch to be anything less than the total wire diameter. Thank you both for your help!

Posted: 3 weeks ago 2024年5月31日 GMT-4 14:14

No worries, stuff like that happens. I am still curious about the numeric-circular discrepancy.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
No worries, stuff like that happens. I am still curious about the numeric-circular discrepancy.

Posted: 3 weeks ago 2024年6月3日 GMT-4 09:41

Edgar and anyone who's interersted--

Here's what COMSOL technical support had to say about the numeric vs circular coil type. I have tried out what they said, and indeed I now get results in perfect agreement. That said, it looks like "Numeric" is still a slightly better choice, so I'm unclear on why "Circular" is ever advantageous.

When using the "Coil" feature of type "Circular" select a single edge (not the inner and outer radius) and that single edge should have the average radius of the coil. In this situation, what you can do is add a workplane (x-y plane) and draw a circle of radius: (48.03[mm]+24.6[mm])/4 and then use those four edges in the Coil Geometry feature. With that change, you'll get about the same L=4.8mH.

In general, the numeric option is actually a bit better, since you there are going to be using a current distribution that is computed on the actual mesh. The circular option assumes that the mesh resolves reasonably well the circular shape.

Then in a follow-up message:

Actually, one other thing: You can (in your original model, with the Circular type) alternatively uncheck the option "Use robust geometry analysis method (requires a complete circle)" and that will also give the expected inductance. (This is actually the default setting, at least in 6.2.)

In any case, yes, using the Numeric coil is (at least in my opinion) the "safest" since it will still be valid if you make the coil, say, slightly elliptical or something like that.

Please feel free to pass this along in whatever way you see fit.

Edgar and anyone who's interersted-- Here's what COMSOL technical support had to say about the numeric vs circular coil type. I have tried out what they said, and indeed I now get results in perfect agreement. That said, it looks like "Numeric" is still a slightly better choice, so I'm unclear on why "Circular" is ever advantageous. > When using the "Coil" feature of type "Circular" select a single edge (not the inner and outer radius) and that single edge should have the average radius of the coil. In this situation, what you can do is add a workplane (x-y plane) and draw a circle of radius: > (48.03[mm]+24.6[mm])/4 > and then use those four edges in the Coil Geometry feature. With that change, you'll get about the same L=4.8mH. > > In general, the numeric option is actually a bit better, since you there are going to be using a current distribution that is computed on the actual mesh. The circular option assumes that the mesh resolves reasonably well the circular shape. > Then in a follow-up message: > Actually, one other thing: You can (in your original model, with the Circular type) alternatively uncheck the option "Use robust geometry analysis method (requires a complete circle)" and that will also give the expected inductance. (This is actually the default setting, at least in 6.2.) > > In any case, yes, using the Numeric coil is (at least in my opinion) the "safest" since it will still be valid if you make the coil, say, slightly elliptical or something like that. > > Please feel free to pass this along in whatever way you see fit.

Posted: 3 weeks ago 2024年6月3日 GMT-4 15:49

Hi Ben,

thanks for the relay.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Hi Ben, thanks for the relay. Cheers Edgar

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.