Exciting a circular waveguide with HE11 mode

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone. A short (and hopefully simple) question. How to excite a circular waveguide with HE11 mode? Because there are onle TE amd TM modes for a port boundary condition.

1 Reply Last Post 2024年6月16日 GMT-4 15:00
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 week ago 2024年6月16日 GMT-4 15:00

You could: (1) do it the old fashioned way (analytically specify the fields) or (2) you can simply specify more than one mode, in an appropriate mix. I.e., for the same physical port, you can assign (for example) both an active TE11 and active TM11 mode. In circular corrugated waveguide, this can yield an HE11 mode, which can be useful to drive a corrugated horn antenna. Now, if you are actually interested in driving optical fibers rather than RF waveguides/horns, I'm guessing there might already be a port spec for this mode available in the wave optics module (which I don't have), but perhaps another user can comment on that.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
You could: (1) do it the old fashioned way (analytically specify the fields) or (2) you can simply specify more than one mode, in an appropriate mix. I.e., for the same physical port, you can assign (for example) both an active TE11 and active TM11 mode. In circular *corrugated* waveguide, this can yield an HE11 mode, which can be useful to drive a corrugated horn antenna. Now, if you are actually interested in driving optical fibers rather than RF waveguides/horns, I'm guessing there *might* already be a port spec for this mode available in the wave optics module (which I don't have), but perhaps another user can comment on that.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.