Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Building a mesh having in a thin gap in between two beams

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am using the piezoelectric devices interface (pzd). Some layers are linear elastic and other - piezoelectric. The surrounding block is air and I defined it with the electrical material model. I want to employ the electrostatic attraction across the thin gap between the two beams. Therefor I need an electrical material to perform force calculation and apply this force as boundary load on the cross section of the gap.

At the moment I am stuck on building the mesh, because the gap in the middle is interrupting the symmetry (at least I suppose this is the difficult point here). I tried to build a mesh on some surfaces and then make a Swept, but I had little success.

What is a good strategy to build a little bit more complicated mesh like this here?

Thanks!

1 Reply Last Post 2013年1月22日 GMT-5 03:22
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年1月22日 GMT-5 03:22
Hi

your model is perhaps easier in 2D, in any case you need the ALE to cope for the deformed air mesh, I would suggest that you cut your air volume with a line in the middle of the gap and have really several >>3 mesh elements per side in this gap region.
You might need the re-meshing option on too

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi your model is perhaps easier in 2D, in any case you need the ALE to cope for the deformed air mesh, I would suggest that you cut your air volume with a line in the middle of the gap and have really several >>3 mesh elements per side in this gap region. You might need the re-meshing option on too -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.