Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Failed to find consistent initial values on lithium ion battery simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I was trying to simulate a lithium ion battery problem with COMSOL 3.2a, trying to see the same effect presented in the following reference:

Premanand Ramadass, Capacity Fade Analysis of Commercial Li-ion Batteries[D], USA: University of South Carolina, 2003.

In my modified model, when the simulation starts it reports

Error:
Time 0:
Failed to find consistent initial values.
Power_of_negative
Function: power
Failed_to_evaluate_expression
Expression: diff(((+(ep*sigma*phi1x)*test(phi1x)+(ap*kp*(c1maxp-theta*c1maxp)^alpha*(theta*c1maxp)^alpha*c2^alpha*(exp(alpha*F*eta/R/T)-exp(-alpha*F*eta/F/T)))*test(phi1)-0)*dvol),phi1_test)

Last time step is not converged.

I am a new user, don't know how to do this problem

Thanks.
Wencheng Li.

4 Replies Last Post 2011年4月19日 GMT-4 12:02

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年2月28日 GMT-5 03:10
hello,

The error, Failed to find consistent initial values, has been dispeared by modifying boundary conditions.

But 'error in residual computation' arose. maybe I need to fit the value of parameters.

The error, Last time step is not converged, is still there.
hello, The error, Failed to find consistent initial values, has been dispeared by modifying boundary conditions. But 'error in residual computation' arose. maybe I need to fit the value of parameters. The error, Last time step is not converged, is still there.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年3月16日 GMT-4 16:30
Hello,

I am experimenting similar issues.
My error message is following.

Did you solve your previous issue? If so, I could be interested how you did.

I am also a new user, an advice would be more than welcome.
Don't hesitate to contact me if you need additional informations, thanks in advance.

Yannick

Error:
Time 1935360:
Error in residual computation.
Power_of_negative
Function: ^
Failed_to_evaluate_variable
Variable: dwdH, Defined_as: ((-((c^(delta-1))*(phi*(phi*(delta*beta)))))/((1+((phi*beta)*((c^delta)-1)))^2))
Variable: Dts_c_di, Defined_as: dwdH
Expression: d(((-D_c_di*cx*test(cx))-(Dts_c_di*ct*test(c)))*(dvol),{test@1})
Hello, I am experimenting similar issues. My error message is following. Did you solve your previous issue? If so, I could be interested how you did. I am also a new user, an advice would be more than welcome. Don't hesitate to contact me if you need additional informations, thanks in advance. Yannick [quote] Error: Time 1935360: Error in residual computation. Power_of_negative Function: ^ Failed_to_evaluate_variable Variable: dwdH, Defined_as: ((-((c^(delta-1))*(phi*(phi*(delta*beta)))))/((1+((phi*beta)*((c^delta)-1)))^2)) Failed_to_evaluate_variable Variable: Dts_c_di, Defined_as: dwdH Failed_to_evaluate_expression Expression: d(((-D_c_di*cx*test(cx))-(Dts_c_di*ct*test(c)))*(dvol),{test@1}) Last time step is not converged.[/quote]

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年6月2日 GMT-4 11:12
Hi,

I am a new user and having the same problem. If i refine my mesh the error takes longer to appear. I am not sure what this means except it is an error in convergence since my value being raised to the exponent should never be negative. I am assuming that if you put a logical statement somewhere to prevent this it should be cured.

Thanks
Alex
Hi, I am a new user and having the same problem. If i refine my mesh the error takes longer to appear. I am not sure what this means except it is an error in convergence since my value being raised to the exponent should never be negative. I am assuming that if you put a logical statement somewhere to prevent this it should be cured. Thanks Alex

Rajeswaran Radhakrishnan

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年4月19日 GMT-4 12:02
Hi,
I am a new user.I am also having the same problem,If u resolved the problem before,please help me to get right...

My error code is

Time 3.746334577378822:
Error in residual computation.
Power_of_negative
Function: ^
Variable: i0, Defined_as: (((k_pos*((c1max_pos-c1s_pos)^aA_pos))*(c1s_pos^aC_pos))*(c2^aA_pos))
Variable: i_loc, Defined_as: ((exp((((Far*aA_pos)*eta)/(Rg*T)))-exp(((((-aC_pos)*Far)*eta)/(Rg*T))))*i0)
Expression: d(((-K1eff*phi1x*test(phi1x)/L_pos-i_loc*Sa_pos*L_pos*test(phi1))-(0))*(dvol),{test@1})

Thanks,
Rajesh
Hi, I am a new user.I am also having the same problem,If u resolved the problem before,please help me to get right... My error code is Time 3.746334577378822: Error in residual computation. Power_of_negative Function: ^ Failed_to_evaluate_variable Variable: i0, Defined_as: (((k_pos*((c1max_pos-c1s_pos)^aA_pos))*(c1s_pos^aC_pos))*(c2^aA_pos)) Failed_to_evaluate_variable Variable: i_loc, Defined_as: ((exp((((Far*aA_pos)*eta)/(Rg*T)))-exp(((((-aC_pos)*Far)*eta)/(Rg*T))))*i0) Failed_to_evaluate_expression Expression: d(((-K1eff*phi1x*test(phi1x)/L_pos-i_loc*Sa_pos*L_pos*test(phi1))-(0))*(dvol),{test@1}) Last time step is not converged. Thanks, Rajesh

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.