Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem: Cylinder appears to be block

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am quite new to this program and I tried to do create a 3D circular duct.

I selected Cylinder and chose a radius of 0.004 m. In case of a short height compared to the radius, the cylinder keeps its shape in the graphics window. But when I select my desired height of 2.6 m the shape of th cylinder turns into a block! I found out that, the more the height/radius ratio is increasing, the less round the profile becomes.

Is this because COMSOL can't simulate this profile? Or is it just a bug?

I need to create a 3D object, because it appears that COMSOL does not give a correct solution using a rotated 2D object..

Thanks in advance,
Fabian

4 Replies Last Post 2013年8月29日 GMT-4 03:24
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年8月28日 GMT-4 10:00
I believe this is due to how Comsol Multiphysics, in coordination with OpenGL or Direct X, represents/plots 3D graphics. First of all, don't take the image on your display so literally. Remember, what actually matters is how well the mesh represents the desired geometry, not how nice the geometry's picture looks on the computer screen. Mesh your object and see if the mesh itself conforms (at least roughly) to the correct circular shape. If not, then try a finer mesh.

Another thing you can do that may help is adjust some of the graphics parameters. For example, choose Options --> Preferences --> Graphics and set Detail to Fine. This may help produce a more realistic view in the display.
I believe this is due to how Comsol Multiphysics, in coordination with OpenGL or Direct X, represents/plots 3D graphics. First of all, don't take the image on your display so literally. Remember, what actually matters is how well the mesh represents the desired geometry, not how nice the geometry's picture looks on the computer screen. Mesh your object and see if the mesh itself conforms (at least roughly) to the correct circular shape. If not, then try a finer mesh. Another thing you can do that may help is adjust some of the graphics parameters. For example, choose Options --> Preferences --> Graphics and set Detail to Fine. This may help produce a more realistic view in the display.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年8月28日 GMT-4 10:05
Thank you so much for your quick and detailed answer, Robert.
Have a nice day! :)

I will give it a try now! If I am not reposting this thread, this topic is solved!
Thank you so much for your quick and detailed answer, Robert. Have a nice day! :) I will give it a try now! If I am not reposting this thread, this topic is solved!

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年8月29日 GMT-4 02:44
You can scale your problem. Draw a low cylinder and implement a scaling factor to the height. I think I saw such an example in a tubular filter demo in the Comsol model library of an earlier version.

What is the quantity which takes an incorrect value in axial 2D symmetry? According to my experience increasing the model to 3D does not improve accuracy.
You can scale your problem. Draw a low cylinder and implement a scaling factor to the height. I think I saw such an example in a tubular filter demo in the Comsol model library of an earlier version. What is the quantity which takes an incorrect value in axial 2D symmetry? According to my experience increasing the model to 3D does not improve accuracy.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年8月29日 GMT-4 03:24
Look at "dialysis" in the model library. There you have the scaling example.
Look at "dialysis" in the model library. There you have the scaling example.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.