Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to specify the storage path for PARDISO out-of-core

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi - I just installed a Solid-State-Disk to test if it speeds up my calculations. First tests with Pardiso solver showed a significant speed increase (3x) when Windows' Page File is located at the SSD. My calculations typically use 8 GB Ram and 16 GB Page File.

Sometimes I get the strong impression that memory allocation fails beyond a critical memory demand and calculations just stalls. Therefore, I would like to test Pardiso out-of-core.

How can I specify that Pardiso out-of-core uses my SSD drive on WinXP x64?

Thanks a lot and best regards,
Kurt

P.S. I will post my findings on the increased speed using the SSD once I am done testing and this insight is useful.

2 Replies Last Post 2010年3月30日 GMT-4 09:02

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年3月24日 GMT-4 13:26
/
eagerly waiting for your results
/
/ eagerly waiting for your results /

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年3月30日 GMT-4 09:02

May be this is helpful...

PARDISO also includes out-of-core capabilities. The PARDISO out-of-core solver stores the LU factors on the hard drive. This minimizes the internal memory usage. The price is longer solution times because it takes longer time to read and write to disk than using the internal memory. You can specify the temporary directory where PARDISO stores the LU factors using the -tmpdir switch; see page 53 of the COMSOL Multiphysics Installation and Operations Guide for further details. The LU factors are stored as blocks on the hard drive. The In core memory option controls the maximum amount of internal memory (in megabytes) allowed for the blocks. If a block is too large to fit into the maximum allowed internal memory you get an out-of-memory error. In that case you must increase the amount of internal memory that you enter in the In core memory edit field. The default value is 512 MB.

Phil
May be this is helpful... PARDISO also includes out-of-core capabilities. The PARDISO out-of-core solver stores the LU factors on the hard drive. This minimizes the internal memory usage. The price is longer solution times because it takes longer time to read and write to disk than using the internal memory. You can specify the temporary directory where PARDISO stores the LU factors using the -tmpdir switch; see page 53 of the COMSOL Multiphysics Installation and Operations Guide for further details. The LU factors are stored as blocks on the hard drive. The In core memory option controls the maximum amount of internal memory (in megabytes) allowed for the blocks. If a block is too large to fit into the maximum allowed internal memory you get an out-of-memory error. In that case you must increase the amount of internal memory that you enter in the In core memory edit field. The default value is 512 MB. Phil

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.