Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to obtain the mass moment of inertia

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!
I need to find the moment of inertia of a complex structure. Anyone knows a way to calculate it? I took a look at the forums but the info I saw was very confusing.

Thanks a lot!

3 Replies Last Post 2014年5月7日 GMT-4 12:20
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年5月7日 GMT-4 00:13
Hi Ezequiel,

If you integrate the density over a domain you get its mass. Similarly, if you integrate “density * (x^2 + y^2)” over a domain you get its mass moment of inertial about the z-axis, I_zz. Similar integrals get you the other terms in the mass moment of inertia tensor if needed.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Ezequiel, If you integrate the density over a domain you get its mass. Similarly, if you integrate “density * (x^2 + y^2)” over a domain you get its mass moment of inertial about the z-axis, I_zz. Similar integrals get you the other terms in the mass moment of inertia tensor if needed. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年5月7日 GMT-4 01:40
Hi

in the latest 4.4 you can add a sub-node in the "Definitions" section (as for old v3.5) and get a set of variables defining mass, Cog, moment of inertia etc very handy
But do not forget to define the appropriate density (solid.rho, or materials.rho or whatever applies)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi in the latest 4.4 you can add a sub-node in the "Definitions" section (as for old v3.5) and get a set of variables defining mass, Cog, moment of inertia etc very handy But do not forget to define the appropriate density (solid.rho, or materials.rho or whatever applies) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年5月7日 GMT-4 12:20
Thanks Nagi and Ivar! :D
Thanks Nagi and Ivar! :D

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.