Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Parameter sweep and solution steps help

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am new to Comsol and I am having some trouble using the parameter sweep.
I am modeling a floquet boundary condition in eigenfrequency analysis for a solid mechanics model. I need to set few parameters sweeps for two variable simultaneously. For example, the two parameters are kx and ky. Let's say the first sweep is kx= [0 to1/2] and ky=[1/2 to 2/3], and the second sweep is kx = [1/2 to 3/4] and ky=[2/3 to 1].

I run the first sweep and get a solution. Then I create a new node and specify my range for the second sweep. However, whenever I get a solution it seems to erase the old one. All I need to do is just run the problem for these new values while keeping the old solutions.

I am not sure if the extension drop down really helps since there is no a continuation option. From the physics of the problem the "continuation" does not really matter because this doesn't depend on the solution before.

So in the nutshell how can I run multiple parameter sweeps while keeping the previous results from a previous sweep.

2 Replies Last Post 2014年5月7日 GMT-4 14:20

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年5月7日 GMT-4 03:11
Look at documentation of "Specified combinations".

"If more than one parameter name have been specified the lists of parameter values are interpreted as follows: Assume that the parameter names are p1 and p2, and that p1 has the list 1 3 and p2 has the list 2 4. For the Specified combinations sweep type, the solver first uses p1 equal to 1 and p2 equal to 2. Thereafter, it uses p1 equal to 3 and p2 equal to 4. And when the sweep type in All combinations, the solver uses the following order for the parameter combinations: 1 2, 1 4, 3 2, and 3 4.

Look at documentation of "Specified combinations". "If more than one parameter name have been specified the lists of parameter values are interpreted as follows: Assume that the parameter names are p1 and p2, and that p1 has the list 1 3 and p2 has the list 2 4. For the Specified combinations sweep type, the solver first uses p1 equal to 1 and p2 equal to 2. Thereafter, it uses p1 equal to 3 and p2 equal to 4. And when the sweep type in All combinations, the solver uses the following order for the parameter combinations: 1 2, 1 4, 3 2, and 3 4.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年5月7日 GMT-4 14:20
Thanks for the response this actually helps me more with what I want to do, but my main problem is.
I want to set two parameter sweep nodes.
first node for kx =[a to b] and ky = [c to d]

then I run the solver.

after that I want to run another sweep where:
kx = [e to f] and ky = [g to h]

I am able to run the first sweep. Then I right click the study node and create a second parameter sweep. However, when I calculate compute. the old results are deleted, I want to keep them.

In general,
1) I cannot run more than one study without deleting the old solution. How can I keep the results from the previous.

2) how can I run the two separate parameter sweeps node above without deleting the first one.
Thanks for the response this actually helps me more with what I want to do, but my main problem is. I want to set two parameter sweep nodes. first node for kx =[a to b] and ky = [c to d] then I run the solver. after that I want to run another sweep where: kx = [e to f] and ky = [g to h] I am able to run the first sweep. Then I right click the study node and create a second parameter sweep. However, when I calculate compute. the old results are deleted, I want to keep them. In general, 1) I cannot run more than one study without deleting the old solution. How can I keep the results from the previous. 2) how can I run the two separate parameter sweeps node above without deleting the first one.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.