Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Non-linear strain

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have a question concerning Solid Mechanics module.

In the Linear Elastic Material, the formulation of the strain is given as: e=0.5[\Delta u^T+\Delta u]

However my problem is a bit more complicated, and I have to apply nonlinear strain formulation such as: e=0.5[(\Delta u)^T+(\Delta u)+ (\Delta u)^T (\Delta u)]
I saw that in the example model "Large Deformation Beam", this formulation is applied, but I cannot find how to turn this option on in comsol v4.4.

Apparently in some of the previous versions, v4.0, v3.5a, this option was available by adding "non linear geometric". However, I cannot find this option in v4.4.

How to get around this problem? Is there some other option for including nonlinear strain?

Thank you for your help!
Kiril

2 Replies Last Post 2014年5月15日 GMT-4 04:14
Thure Ralfs COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年5月13日 GMT-4 06:40
Hi

You find the "Include geometric nonlinearity" in the study step, it at the top in the settings for the stationary study step.

Best regards
Thure
Hi You find the "Include geometric nonlinearity" in the study step, it at the top in the settings for the stationary study step. Best regards Thure

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年5月15日 GMT-4 04:14
Thank you for your answer!

It works quite well now!

Best regards
Kiril
Thank you for your answer! It works quite well now! Best regards Kiril

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.