Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electrostatic MEMS resonators. 2D example from COMSOL library isn't correct??

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,

I was just browsing over the COMSOL library of Electromechanical Interface.
Analyzing this example "biased resonator 2D freq" I have noticed that frequency response of the vibration amplitude does not look correct to me. The resonant frequency of the resonating structure is 7.8 MHz.And the author plots the Y component of the displacement field, which is v (see picture 1) and represents the amplitude of the displacement as far as I understand.

Then he compares this response to the one published in the reference (see pdf to the example) claiming the response looks like the transmission of the resonator (see picture 2). Unfortunately, I don't see the necessity of the amplitude and the transmission curve to look the same.

At the same time the frequency response of the amplitude of the real analyzed resonator looks like it supposed to look. 1 clear resonance peak. (see picture 3).

Am I just not getting what COMSOL really means by displacement field or there is smth else wrong? Any help would be pretty much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
Olzhas

0 Replies Last Post 2014年5月23日 GMT-4 19:40
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Olzhas Tazabekov

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.