Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Comsol 4.0: Equations please?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Did someone tried Comsol 4.0 ? I just saw an online live presentation of comsol 4.0 and I didnt see any equations in the demonstration. I'm used to implement most of my transport equations in "weak form" with the version 3.5a, and I would appreciate to be able to do the same with version 4.0. It is insufficient for academic purpose to just use the furnished equations and toolbox.

Keep me informed,

2 Replies Last Post 2010年4月23日 GMT-4 13:36
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年4月23日 GMT-4 00:56
Hi

I know that in the 4 beta the equations where there, but had to be activated by an option (default off) as they clogg up the model tree to a level that for certain advanced users its probably easier without.

For me too its essential that the physical equations are put in (also for structural etc)

Comsol seem to have learned from Apple, get the expectations high to create a drag effect ;)

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi I know that in the 4 beta the equations where there, but had to be activated by an option (default off) as they clogg up the model tree to a level that for certain advanced users its probably easier without. For me too its essential that the physical equations are put in (also for structural etc) Comsol seem to have learned from Apple, get the expectations high to create a drag effect ;) Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年4月23日 GMT-4 13:36
Hello Frank,

In version 4.0, the equations that are being set up are not displayed in the graphical user interface by default (In 3.5a they are displayed at the top of the Subdomain Settings window by default). This is what John Dunec talked about in yesterday's webinar. Of course, although they are not shown by default in the graphical user interface, the equations are available in the documentation and they are therefore accessible in a single click thanks to the dynamic help.

One exception to the above is the Coefficient Form, General Form and Weak Form application modes (all of which continue to be available in 4.0 BTW). For those, the equations are indeed displayed in the graphical user interface. I am attaching a screen shot showing this for Coefficient Form.

The goal is to reintroduce the display of the equations for all application modes at version 4.0a.

Hope this clarifies thing a bit,
Jeff
Hello Frank, In version 4.0, the equations that are being set up are not displayed in the graphical user interface by default (In 3.5a they are displayed at the top of the Subdomain Settings window by default). This is what John Dunec talked about in yesterday's webinar. Of course, although they are not shown by default in the graphical user interface, the equations are available in the documentation and they are therefore accessible in a single click thanks to the dynamic help. One exception to the above is the Coefficient Form, General Form and Weak Form application modes (all of which continue to be available in 4.0 BTW). For those, the equations are indeed displayed in the graphical user interface. I am attaching a screen shot showing this for Coefficient Form. The goal is to reintroduce the display of the equations for all application modes at version 4.0a. Hope this clarifies thing a bit, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.