Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Scattering by a dielectric corner - PML

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everybody, I need to simulate the 2D problem of plane wave scattering by a dielectric corner (see attached figure).
The model I have built up with Comsol uses the In Plane TE waves module (harmonic propagation). The simulation region is a box (air) in which there is another box (lossless dielectric corner) . This last is theoretically infinite and so must be terminated with a Perfectly Matched Layer. The plane wave direction is described by the arrow.
In my model, I have bounded the computational domain with PMLs . These are composed of boxes matched to free space and boxes matched to the lossless dielectric. The boundary settings I have employed are:
- scattering boundary conditions (plane wave) for the outer boundaries of the domain
- continuity for all the others.
The results I found running Comsol are shown in the attached figure and not acceptable since the level of reflections at the bottom of the corner is high (see the interference pattern and the field level in the PML).
I wonder if there are any mistakes in my model and my major doubts are about the use of the PMLs. For what concerns the PML matched to free space I have followed the tutorial Dielectric scattering (automatic choice for the parameters Sdx, Sdy). Then, I have set the PML matched to the dielectric in a similar way just changing the value of the dielectric constant. However, I don't know if an optimization of the PML parameters (thickness,etc) is required for this kind of problem.

Thanks in advance

0 Replies Last Post 2010年5月12日 GMT+8 00:59
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Gianluca Gennarelli

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.