Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to simulate ion trajectory with multiple fields

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm trying to simulate ion trajectory for optimization of voltage on my ion optics. But the problem is that there is not only electric field, but magnetic field, which seems quite rare.
In my case, molecules are trapped by a pair of permanent magnets, which are also used as Repeller and Extractor for the ion optics. So, in theory, the trajectories of ions would be affected by both fields.
Usually, if there is only one field, we can set the solution from first study, either electrostatics or magnetic field as the input of 2nd study of charged particle tracing in the study setting.
But now there are 2 different fields, and I don't know how to simulate this scenario. In the study setting, "values of dependent variables" , there is an option "values of variables not solved for", can i set the solution of another field to this?

Thanks,
Yang

4 Replies Last Post 2015年4月16日 GMT-4 18:39
Daniel Smith COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年4月16日 GMT-4 09:07
Dear Yang, you can chain together as many studies as you want, and simply pass the solutions on to the next study using the "Values of Variables Solved For" and "Values of Variables Not Solved For" checkboxes. The example model ACDC Module>Particle Tracing>quadrupole_mass_spectrometer runs a study for the electrostatic field, then runs a second study for the time harmonic fields, then a third study for the particle trajectories. The forces on the particles come from both study 1 and study 2. You can use the same procedure in your model.

You could also use a single study to solve for both the electric and magnetic fields, if the study type is the same for both.
Dear Yang, you can chain together as many studies as you want, and simply pass the solutions on to the next study using the "Values of Variables Solved For" and "Values of Variables Not Solved For" checkboxes. The example model ACDC Module>Particle Tracing>quadrupole_mass_spectrometer runs a study for the electrostatic field, then runs a second study for the time harmonic fields, then a third study for the particle trajectories. The forces on the particles come from both study 1 and study 2. You can use the same procedure in your model. You could also use a single study to solve for both the electric and magnetic fields, if the study type is the same for both.

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年4月16日 GMT-4 14:09
THx a lot for your reply.
However I still have an question for the former approach: why in the quadrupole_mass_spectrometer.mph model, particle tracing study only choose solution from electric currents study as the dependent variables, instead of both solution from electrostatic study and electric currents study, plus it seems impossible to choose both for the "values of variables not solved for"?
THx a lot for your reply. However I still have an question for the former approach: why in the quadrupole_mass_spectrometer.mph model, particle tracing study only choose solution from electric currents study as the dependent variables, instead of both solution from electrostatic study and electric currents study, plus it seems impossible to choose both for the "values of variables not solved for"?

Daniel Smith COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年4月16日 GMT-4 14:17
Hi, the solution from the electrostatics is passed to the electric currents study, which is then passed to the particle tracing study. Thus, the electrostatics solution propagates through to the particle tracing study. You can have as many studies as you want chained together in this fashion.

You could think of the procedure as the following:
Study 1: Solve for: Electrostatics. Keep previously solved variables from: None.
Study 2: Solve for Electric Currents. Keep previously solved variables from: Study 1.
Study 3: Solve for: Particle Tracing. Keep previously solved variables from : Study 2 (and thus, by inheritance, Study 1 also).
Hi, the solution from the electrostatics is passed to the electric currents study, which is then passed to the particle tracing study. Thus, the electrostatics solution propagates through to the particle tracing study. You can have as many studies as you want chained together in this fashion. You could think of the procedure as the following: Study 1: Solve for: Electrostatics. Keep previously solved variables from: None. Study 2: Solve for Electric Currents. Keep previously solved variables from: Study 1. Study 3: Solve for: Particle Tracing. Keep previously solved variables from : Study 2 (and thus, by inheritance, Study 1 also).

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年4月16日 GMT-4 18:39
Thanks very much. Now I know how to deal with it.
Thanks very much. Now I know how to deal with it.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.