Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

fluid-fluid interaction

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I have a fsi model, however, I also need to add another fluid to the model. So I would have the solid with a layer of fluid 1 surrounding it and then fluid 2 comes in contact with fluid and the structure. I do not know how to add that extra fluid in there, is there a specific module that deals with fluid-fluid interaction.

Thank you, I hope this is clear.

Marina

3 Replies Last Post 2010年8月4日 GMT-4 12:09

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年8月4日 GMT-4 10:38

Hi, I have a fsi model, however, I also need to add another fluid to the model. So I would have the solid with a layer of fluid 1 surrounding it and then fluid 2 comes in contact with fluid and the structure. I do not know how to add that extra fluid in there, is there a specific module that deals with fluid-fluid interaction.

Thank you, I hope this is clear.

Marina

Then I guess you should use Level-set or two-phase flow model to track the boundaries between the fluids. There is a great example in Comsol 3.5a (but not 4), but I don't know where exactly.

Edit: It is called "Two Phase Fluid-Structure Interaction", but I don't have MEMS to check exactly.
[QUOTE] Hi, I have a fsi model, however, I also need to add another fluid to the model. So I would have the solid with a layer of fluid 1 surrounding it and then fluid 2 comes in contact with fluid and the structure. I do not know how to add that extra fluid in there, is there a specific module that deals with fluid-fluid interaction. Thank you, I hope this is clear. Marina [/QUOTE] Then I guess you should use Level-set or two-phase flow model to track the boundaries between the fluids. There is a great example in Comsol 3.5a (but not 4), but I don't know where exactly. Edit: It is called "Two Phase Fluid-Structure Interaction", but I don't have MEMS to check exactly.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年8月4日 GMT-4 11:06
Thank you so much. I actually have version 3.3, I know that 3.5 has that capability, but 3.3 doesnt, I was just trying to figure out if there is another way to do it, so I would not have purchase the new version. Do you know of any other way of doing it?
Thank you so much. I actually have version 3.3, I know that 3.5 has that capability, but 3.3 doesnt, I was just trying to figure out if there is another way to do it, so I would not have purchase the new version. Do you know of any other way of doing it?

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年8月4日 GMT-4 12:09

If you mean MEMS, you don't need MEMS for this. You need Chemical Engineering Module for two-phase and level-set methods I guess. But, I don't know of any other method to have F-F, except these two in Comsol.
[QUOTE] Thank you so much. I actually have version 3.3, I know that 3.5 has that capability, but 3.3 doesnt, I was just trying to figure out if there is another way to do it, so I would not have purchase the new version. Do you know of any other way of doing it? [/QUOTE] If you mean MEMS, you don't need MEMS for this. You need Chemical Engineering Module for two-phase and level-set methods I guess. But, I don't know of any other method to have F-F, except these two in Comsol.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.