Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

ion concentration/concentration gradient

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello

I am working in the PDE model and I have a 1D geometry consisting of 2 intervals.
by flowing current through the system, I would like to show that one interval represents an ion selective zone while the other one does not. so how can I define this behavior which causes concentration gradient?
actually I dont know how to define this concentration gradient in COMSOL.

Regards

1 Reply Last Post 2015年8月18日 GMT-4 01:22

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年8月18日 GMT-4 01:22
Hi

I have also tried to find out how to simulate an ion-exchange membrane but so far failed to do that. The essence is the existence of immobile fixed charge density. Contrary to what you wrote, there is hardly no concentration gradient within an ion-exchange membrane, and ion transport takes place solely by migration. In a moderately charged porous material concentration gradients exist, but I am not quite sure why you want to define it since it comes as a result of the simulation. But of course, if you need to define a concentration gradient, use a linear profile like

c = c1 - (c1 - c2)*x/L

where c(0) = c1 and c(L) = c2, and L is the length of the ion-selective domain.

The problem of simulating an ion-exchange membrane is that I cannot set zero as the diffusion coefficient of the fixed charges. In the Poisson-Boltzmann equation charges can be set in a domain, but that would be incorrect since the membrane is electroneutral and Donnan equilibrium sets the potential in the membrane.

If anybody has an idea how to do this, I would be most grateful.

BR
Lasse
Hi I have also tried to find out how to simulate an ion-exchange membrane but so far failed to do that. The essence is the existence of immobile fixed charge density. Contrary to what you wrote, there is hardly no concentration gradient within an ion-exchange membrane, and ion transport takes place solely by migration. In a moderately charged porous material concentration gradients exist, but I am not quite sure why you want to define it since it comes as a result of the simulation. But of course, if you need to define a concentration gradient, use a linear profile like c = c1 - (c1 - c2)*x/L where c(0) = c1 and c(L) = c2, and L is the length of the ion-selective domain. The problem of simulating an ion-exchange membrane is that I cannot set zero as the diffusion coefficient of the fixed charges. In the Poisson-Boltzmann equation charges can be set in a domain, but that would be incorrect since the membrane is electroneutral and Donnan equilibrium sets the potential in the membrane. If anybody has an idea how to do this, I would be most grateful. BR Lasse

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.