Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

LU factorization Out Of Memory

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,

I run a comsol/matlab script (let's say SourceFile) and it works.

Then I pick up one parameter and make it change in a loop (let's say LoopFile).
It runs for many steps, until LU factorization Out Of Memory occurs.

I think the following things are strange:

1) if, in SourceFile, I manually set that parameter to the value for which LoopFile breaks, and I run the file, it works without going out of memory.

2) I must close and open again the application "comsol with matlab", otherwise for every script the application goes out of memory during LU factorization.

If anybody has a suggestion about what might be wrong, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

4 Replies Last Post 2010年8月27日 GMT-4 01:44

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年8月26日 GMT-4 14:19
Well I've had similar LU Out of Memory problems, however this is simply due to the fact that I have not enough memory on my comp 4GB.

What was interesting was that for every time I ran the study, ever so often the Memory footprint of COMSOL would increase, almost like a memory link. If I ran it about 4-5 times it would get so bid that it would literally go over the tipping point for my computer resources and cause a crash. Therefore I would have to close and restart COMSOL where it would be at a lower memory footprint so to speak, annoying.

Perhaps this is what is happening, everytime time you do a loop of 10 or so analysis calls, the memory footprint incrementally increases to a point where one of the study calls fails?

Regards Mike F
Well I've had similar LU Out of Memory problems, however this is simply due to the fact that I have not enough memory on my comp 4GB. What was interesting was that for every time I ran the study, ever so often the Memory footprint of COMSOL would increase, almost like a memory link. If I ran it about 4-5 times it would get so bid that it would literally go over the tipping point for my computer resources and cause a crash. Therefore I would have to close and restart COMSOL where it would be at a lower memory footprint so to speak, annoying. Perhaps this is what is happening, everytime time you do a loop of 10 or so analysis calls, the memory footprint incrementally increases to a point where one of the study calls fails? Regards Mike F

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年8月26日 GMT-4 14:51
Yes, Michael,

it seems like that, cause otherwise it would go out of memory also if I run the SourceFile and, instead, this one always works fine.

I would like to add that I followed some advices on the internet to get rid of some problems that matlab2007a gives with win7.
In particular I substituted the original folder jre1.5.0_07

C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2007a\sys\java\jre\win32\jre1.5.0_07

with the folder

C:\Program Files\Java\jre6

properly renamed.

Thanks
Yes, Michael, it seems like that, cause otherwise it would go out of memory also if I run the SourceFile and, instead, this one always works fine. I would like to add that I followed some advices on the internet to get rid of some problems that matlab2007a gives with win7. In particular I substituted the original folder jre1.5.0_07 C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2007a\sys\java\jre\win32\jre1.5.0_07 with the folder C:\Program Files\Java\jre6 properly renamed. Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年8月26日 GMT-4 15:30
Matlab though useful can be annoying when it comes to optimization calls, I have this annoying problem where over time it accumulates Memory until it eats all of it up :), apparently it is due to a conflict with Windows memory management and matlab, any file created by matlab below a certain size something like 512Kb is not removed from the memory as it should normally be, hence after about 10,000 calls the memory begins to build :D

I hope you get your problem fixed

Regards Mike
Matlab though useful can be annoying when it comes to optimization calls, I have this annoying problem where over time it accumulates Memory until it eats all of it up :), apparently it is due to a conflict with Windows memory management and matlab, any file created by matlab below a certain size something like 512Kb is not removed from the memory as it should normally be, hence after about 10,000 calls the memory begins to build :D I hope you get your problem fixed Regards Mike

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年8月27日 GMT-4 01:44
I had a similar post regarding Comsol too: www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/8542/

Also, when I had a talk with some groups, they mentioned that garbage collection of comsol 3 (when run with matlab) was not that good, and they were calling their own routines (I think simply calling java gc) at the end of their matlab files.
I had a similar post regarding Comsol too: http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/8542/ Also, when I had a talk with some groups, they mentioned that garbage collection of comsol 3 (when run with matlab) was not that good, and they were calling their own routines (I think simply calling java gc) at the end of their matlab files.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.