Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Hoop stress, radial stress

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

In 2d axisymmetric , how to plot the hoop and radial stress? (there are many stress options in the insert expression tab)

Thank you

6 Replies Last Post 2016年3月2日 GMT-5 01:29
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年1月12日 GMT-5 03:05
Hi

have you checked ?
www.comsol.eu/community/forums/general/thread/34639

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi have you checked ? https://www.comsol.eu/community/forums/general/thread/34639 -- Good luck Ivar

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年1月12日 GMT-5 03:42
Well, in 2D axisymmetry it is easier than in the thread pointed to by Ivar :-)

The hoop stress is solid.sphiphi.

If you by 'radial stress' mean the direct stress in the R direction, it is solid.srr.

Regards,
Henrik
Well, in 2D axisymmetry it is easier than in the thread pointed to by Ivar :-) The hoop stress is solid.sphiphi. If you by 'radial stress' mean the direct stress in the R direction, it is solid.srr. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年1月14日 GMT-5 04:42
Thank you Ivar and Henrik for your replies.

Henrik are these var available on v 4.4 because they are not recognized ?(sorry for not mentioning it)
I use stress tensor local coordinate system (as in the thread ivar mentioned) for example solid.sI11 to plot axial stress but i m suspicious about the results.. i wonder (on that) if comsol finds the parallel surface to its axial direction for an inclined geometry to calculate the axial stress..?
My geometry is inclined at a part like in the photo attached(supposing the bold line has axial direction)

Thank you Ivar and Henrik for your replies. Henrik are these var available on v 4.4 because they are not recognized ?(sorry for not mentioning it) I use stress tensor local coordinate system (as in the thread ivar mentioned) for example solid.sI11 to plot axial stress but i m suspicious about the results.. i wonder (on that) if comsol finds the parallel surface to its axial direction for an inclined geometry to calculate the axial stress..? My geometry is inclined at a part like in the photo attached(supposing the bold line has axial direction)

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年1月14日 GMT-5 05:45
Hi,

Local stress components have directions which you define yourself, by assigning a local coordinate system to the material. So when using the solid.sI* variables, you have full control over the orientation.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, Local stress components have directions which you define yourself, by assigning a local coordinate system to the material. So when using the solid.sI* variables, you have full control over the orientation. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年2月29日 GMT-5 08:58
I share a similar problem, but with version 5.2.
I consider a disk of radius R=10mm and height of Z=1mm, generated with a 2D axisymmetry. I impose a displacement (strain) of the radius of 3.8466E-3mm and I measure the stress on the volume. The file is attached.
The stress indicated by COMSOL for solid.mises, solid.sr, and solid.sphi is 4.0191E7. My analytic calculation would rather indicate a value of 2.6315E+07 for the radial and for the tangent stress.

Here are my questions:
1)How does the Von Mises stress combines the radial and tangent stress components?
2)How to measure only the radial stress value?

Regards,
Nicolas
I share a similar problem, but with version 5.2. I consider a disk of radius R=10mm and height of Z=1mm, generated with a 2D axisymmetry. I impose a displacement (strain) of the radius of 3.8466E-3mm and I measure the stress on the volume. The file is attached. The stress indicated by COMSOL for solid.mises, solid.sr, and solid.sphi is 4.0191E7. My analytic calculation would rather indicate a value of 2.6315E+07 for the radial and for the tangent stress. Here are my questions: 1)How does the Von Mises stress combines the radial and tangent stress components? 2)How to measure only the radial stress value? Regards, Nicolas

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年3月2日 GMT-5 01:29
Hi Nicolas,

For the definition of von Mises effective stress, please se the documentation or en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Mises_yield_criterion . With two normal stress components equal and all other stress components zero, it follows that the von Mises stress will get the same value.

The radial stress component is solid.sr as you expected.

You have to revisit the analytical calculation. Note that the stress state is biaxial and the strain state is triaxial in your example.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi Nicolas, For the definition of von Mises effective stress, please se the documentation or https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Mises_yield_criterion . With two normal stress components equal and all other stress components zero, it follows that the von Mises stress will get the same value. The radial stress component is solid.sr as you expected. You have to revisit the analytical calculation. Note that the stress state is biaxial and the strain state is triaxial in your example. Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.