Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Face Cannot Be parameterized

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all;

I try to import a STL file to Comsol 4.3a but this error appeared "Face Cannot be parameterized"?

Any help?

Thanks in advance :)

4 Replies Last Post 2013年3月20日 GMT-4 12:28
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Amr Abdelghany

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年1月28日 GMT-5 22:45
Hello,
I had the same problem. Anyone can help?
Hello, I had the same problem. Anyone can help?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年1月29日 GMT-5 01:47
Hi

from my experience, not much to do as STL is not a "solid" 3D format, if you could use STEP, ACIS or Parasolid or one of the native 3D geometry formats you will have more chances to get the import successful

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi from my experience, not much to do as STL is not a "solid" 3D format, if you could use STEP, ACIS or Parasolid or one of the native 3D geometry formats you will have more chances to get the import successful -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月20日 GMT-4 12:19
Hi!
I managed to find a solution. It is not trivial nor free. We can import the .stl file with +CAD (Simpleware), convert it to a mask and then save/export it as a +ScanIP (simpleware) file. Once in +ScanIP we open the file with the mask and we create a NURBS surface from the mask. We can export the mesh in different formats that comsol accepts. I tried with .igs extension and it worked.

I followed a suggestion here
www.comsol.com/press/news/article/117/
www.comsol.com/products/interfaces/simpleware/

Hope it helps someone.

Hi! I managed to find a solution. It is not trivial nor free. We can import the .stl file with +CAD (Simpleware), convert it to a mask and then save/export it as a +ScanIP (simpleware) file. Once in +ScanIP we open the file with the mask and we create a NURBS surface from the mask. We can export the mesh in different formats that comsol accepts. I tried with .igs extension and it worked. I followed a suggestion here http://www.comsol.com/press/news/article/117/ http://www.comsol.com/products/interfaces/simpleware/ Hope it helps someone.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月20日 GMT-4 12:28
I am also face the same problem and that's why i am join this forum today to participate in discussion and find the solution of this problem. Thanks for explain this issue, now i will try to do through this way.
I am also face the same problem and that's why i am join this forum today to participate in discussion and find the solution of this problem. Thanks for explain this issue, now i will try to do through this way.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.