Application Exchange

Conf EU 2020 Simple stress concentration examples

Ivar KJELBERG, CSEM SA (Switzerland)
Email:

The 4 models, with certainly perfectible Apps, are to illustrate the stress concentrations effects for structural interfaces.
They allow to adapt the discretisation and the mesh refinement, as well as the graph refinement.
Some more explanation in my COMSOL EU Conference 2020 poster.
I made these models, to check why COMSOL gives often smoother responses than classical FEM tools, following the excellent series of presentation of NAFEMS training guru Tony Abbey, for more see https://www.nafems.org and https://www.fetraining.net

Other Entries by This Contributor

User Comments

Sep 11, 2020 at 7:33am UTC

Can you show an example with model mph, to understand what you did !!?

Ivar KJELBERG
Entry submitter
Sep 18, 2020 at 3:45pm UTC

There will be a little more explanation in my COMSOL 2020 EU Poster, to be published in 2-3 weeks :)
Ivar

Ivar KJELBERG
Entry submitter
Sep 26, 2020 at 9:58am UTC

As there is still a few weeks to the EU conf, here are some explanations:
The PLate example is an illustration of point stress, from the app you may choose the default second order discretisation, or the linear one, that is like the default of most other FEM programs. You may also turn of the default plot refinement of COMSOL. It illustrates well the increasing stress level, even if displacements saturate, for increasing mesh density. It shows why COMSOL results out of the box are so much cleaner than what one mostly talk about from other FEM tools.

The three other models are respectively traction/compression, flexing, and moment bending of a small flexible cantilever attached to a rigid base with an elliptic fillet to join the two. The App optimises the elliptic radii to the respective load cases, for a minimal stress concentration, and then a second mesh refinement study is proposed to improve the stress concentration analysis, based on the Strain Energy as mesh optimisation function, instead of the default L2 norm. Note the rather different loads and results on the optimum radii for the three different load cases.
Have fun COMSOLing, Ivar

Login to comment on this entry.