Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Friction in Frequancy Domain Studies

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Everybody,

Has anybody applied friction force in a frequancy domain study before? I am trying to apply the friction using the friction subnode under the contact node. However, I am not sure if I do it right.

I use the penalty method for both friction and contact pressure analysis. However, the below error message always appear when trying to run the study.

"The dependent variables comp1.solid.cmX_p1_old, comp1.solid.cmX_p2_old, comp1.solid.cmX_p3_old, comp1.solid.cmX_p4_old, comp1.solid.cmX_p5_old, comp1.solid.cmY_p1_old, comp1.solid.cmY_p2_old, comp1.solid.cmY_p3_old, comp1.solid.cmY_p4_old, comp1.solid.cmY_p5_old, comp1.solid.cmZ_p1_old, comp1.solid.cmZ_p2_old, comp1.solid.cmZ_p3_old, comp1.solid.cmZ_p4_old, comp1.solid.cmZ_p5_old, comp1.solid.contact_p1_old, comp1.solid.contact_p2_old, comp1.solid.contact_p3_old, comp1.solid.contact_p4_old, comp1.solid.contact_p5_old are missing in the segregated solver steps. Add them to existing or new steps.
- Feature: Stationary Solver 1 (sol1/s1)"

Please help,

3 Replies Last Post 2016年3月9日 GMT-5 02:06
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年3月8日 GMT-5 01:16
Hi,

Since a frequency domain study is a linear study type, it is not possible to use friction (or any other inherently nonlinear feature) there.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, Since a frequency domain study is a linear study type, it is not possible to use friction (or any other inherently nonlinear feature) there. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年3月8日 GMT-5 02:49
Thank you Hernik for your fast response,

Do I have then to use the time dependent study to simulate my HarmonicLoad problem?
I am only interested in the displacement amplitudes over a wide range of frequancies so the frequancy domain study seemed very suitable. Is there any backway to simulate the effect of friction in this type of study?
Another question please, I want to simulate a concrete cylendrical object inside a domain of an elastic material. However, this concrete object is surrounded by a very thin film of a weak material. The question is how to simulate this thin material film? If I used a very thin domain around the pile the problem may not converge due to the very small mesh size in this location relative to the rest of the model.

Thank you Hernik for your fast response, Do I have then to use the time dependent study to simulate my HarmonicLoad problem? I am only interested in the displacement amplitudes over a wide range of frequancies so the frequancy domain study seemed very suitable. Is there any backway to simulate the effect of friction in this type of study? Another question please, I want to simulate a concrete cylendrical object inside a domain of an elastic material. However, this concrete object is surrounded by a very thin film of a weak material. The question is how to simulate this thin material film? If I used a very thin domain around the pile the problem may not converge due to the very small mesh size in this location relative to the rest of the model.

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年3月9日 GMT-5 02:06
Hi,

Since you cannot get a harmonic motion if friction is present, the only solution is a time dependent analysis. Unless of coarse the friction force is sticking, in which case the surfaces can be considered as 'bonded'.

The the thin layer, check out the Thin Elastic Layer feature, see for example

www.comsol.com/blogs/structural-analysis-with-thin-elastic-layers/

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, Since you cannot get a harmonic motion if friction is present, the only solution is a time dependent analysis. Unless of coarse the friction force is sticking, in which case the surfaces can be considered as 'bonded'. The the thin layer, check out the Thin Elastic Layer feature, see for example https://www.comsol.com/blogs/structural-analysis-with-thin-elastic-layers/ Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.