Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Accessing material properties from a property group

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

this is my first post on the Comsol forum, since for most of my issues I found solutions, already.

Let me briefly introduce myself: My name is Christoph and I'm working in the automotive branch. I'm using Comsol for two years now, mainly for electrical and optical simulations.

This brings me directly to my question:

I'd like to calculate the reflection from a multilayer stack with the Ray optics module. The stack also includes a thin dielectric layer feature, for which is not possible to define the refractive index as "from material". Therefore, I'd like to access the refractive index of a defined material via the corresponding expression. It seems to work perfectly as long as I refer to properties from the "def" property group (e.g. "mat1.def.rho"), but it fails when I try to access the parameter n or n11 in the "RefractiveIndex" property group. I tried multiple expressions like "mat1.n", "mat1.n11", "mat1.RefractiveIndex.n", "mat1.RefractiveIndex.n11" or even "mat1.def.n" (altough it is not in the "def" group).

Hopefully someone of you has an idea of how to solve this issue.

Thanks in advance,

best regards,

Christoph

1 Reply Last Post 2016年3月18日 GMT-4 06:32

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年3月18日 GMT-4 06:32
Hi again,

I solved it...

The correct expression was:

mat1.rfi.n11.

Hi again, I solved it... The correct expression was: mat1.rfi.n11.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.