Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Dimension problem when importing geometry from Solidworks

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everybody,

I am trying to import a geometry from SolidWorks 2013 into COMSOL. My Problem is that the dimensions in COMSOL are getting wrong. The format of the file I import is *.STL. I hope someone knows how to fix this.

Thanks for your help.

4 Replies Last Post 2016年4月11日 GMT-4 09:30
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年4月8日 GMT-4 08:44
Hello Yu,
Since your geometry is in SolidWorks, STL is the last format you want to use to import the geometry into COMSOL. Assuming your license includes the CAD Import Module, LiveLink for SolidWorks or the Design Module, you can pick from several more appropriate formats, including the native SolidWorks file formats, etc, see www.comsol.com/products/specifications/cad/ .
Best,
Jeff
Hello Yu, Since your geometry is in SolidWorks, STL is the last format you want to use to import the geometry into COMSOL. Assuming your license includes the CAD Import Module, LiveLink for SolidWorks or the Design Module, you can pick from several more appropriate formats, including the native SolidWorks file formats, etc, see https://www.comsol.com/products/specifications/cad/ . Best, Jeff

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年4月9日 GMT-4 19:59
Hi Jeff,

What steps and/or products do you recommend to someone who has defined/created a complicated 3D geometry entirely within the Comsol Multiphysics environment, and now wants to export that geometry into a file that can be opened using SolidWorks?

Thanks

Hi Jeff, What steps and/or products do you recommend to someone who has defined/created a complicated 3D geometry entirely within the Comsol Multiphysics environment, and now wants to export that geometry into a file that can be opened using SolidWorks? Thanks

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年4月11日 GMT-4 02:01
Hi

I use Parasolid type *.x_t or *.x_b as this is the basic graphic core used both by COMSOL and SolidWorks, STL is no true 3D graphic standard in a topological understanding way.

When importing, one must adjust the units select either COMSOL or import geometry, and then ALWAYS CHECK AGAIN the imported dimensions, as COMSOL does not give us a reminder of the graphics units in their graphic view (that is a missing item in my understanding)

Anyhow, one of the standard checks one should ALWAYS perform on any model before looking at the results are :
1) is the total mass correct CAD / FEM ? (minimum check the VOLUM if you haven't used materials in the CAD)
2) is the total inertia tensor correct CAD / FEM (set FEM density to "1" if you have no materials in the CAD)
3) is the moment of inertia axis coherent CAD/FEM (use rho=1 as above, if applicable)

case 1) check the dimensions, case 2+3) the extent, scaling and orientation of the imported part

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I use Parasolid type *.x_t or *.x_b as this is the basic graphic core used both by COMSOL and SolidWorks, STL is no true 3D graphic standard in a topological understanding way. When importing, one must adjust the units select either COMSOL or import geometry, and then ALWAYS CHECK AGAIN the imported dimensions, as COMSOL does not give us a reminder of the graphics units in their graphic view (that is a missing item in my understanding) Anyhow, one of the standard checks one should ALWAYS perform on any model before looking at the results are : 1) is the total mass correct CAD / FEM ? (minimum check the VOLUM if you haven't used materials in the CAD) 2) is the total inertia tensor correct CAD / FEM (set FEM density to "1" if you have no materials in the CAD) 3) is the moment of inertia axis coherent CAD/FEM (use rho=1 as above, if applicable) case 1) check the dimensions, case 2+3) the extent, scaling and orientation of the imported part -- Good luck Ivar

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年4月11日 GMT-4 09:30
The CAD Specification chart webpage (www.comsol.com/products/specifications/cad/) lists the formats that each program can write to, under the "Write to File" section.

The length unit used to display the geometry in the Graphics window is shown in the Settings window for the top node of the Geometry branch, usually named "Geometry 1".

Jeff
The CAD Specification chart webpage (https://www.comsol.com/products/specifications/cad/) lists the formats that each program can write to, under the "Write to File" section. The length unit used to display the geometry in the Graphics window is shown in the Settings window for the top node of the Geometry branch, usually named "Geometry 1". Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.