Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Change in Eigenfrequency due to added mass

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everybody,

I have a very simple doubt, which is as follows.

I have calculated the Eigenfrequency of a clamped plate. Now, I would like to add another body, which has a definite surface and weight, on top of the plate to see how the Eigenfrequency is changing. However, I am not able to know how to add this weight in comsol 4.0a.

In the attached figure, you will be able to see, I have added this weight as a face load on boundary 2. However, the Eigenfrequency is not changing.

All form of help would be happily appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Kiran

18 Replies Last Post 2013年2月13日 GMT-5 08:47
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年11月11日 GMT-5 08:51
Hi

that is (no frequency change) because you add a "load" in Newtons, and no "mass" on your points/plates.
If you add a new thickness to the central small plate you will see a difference, and of you add a point mass you will see a change too, but a "point mass" is no "point load".

Take care to separate a "point load" coming from i.e. a "body force" suc as due to gravity acting on a mass, attached to your memebrane (with it's own defined volume, density hence an integrated own mass)

Basically forces/loads are ignored for an eigenfrqeuency analysis, only effects acting on "iomega*rho" will do

The easiest (as I cannot find Point mass in Shell physics bizarre, forgooten ?) is to make a simple beam model and add a point mass and then look at the equation used, and transpose to shell, something like

Weak constraits:
-mass*(u*test(u)+v*test(v)+w*test(w))*shell.iomega^2

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi that is (no frequency change) because you add a "load" in Newtons, and no "mass" on your points/plates. If you add a new thickness to the central small plate you will see a difference, and of you add a point mass you will see a change too, but a "point mass" is no "point load". Take care to separate a "point load" coming from i.e. a "body force" suc as due to gravity acting on a mass, attached to your memebrane (with it's own defined volume, density hence an integrated own mass) Basically forces/loads are ignored for an eigenfrqeuency analysis, only effects acting on "iomega*rho" will do The easiest (as I cannot find Point mass in Shell physics bizarre, forgooten ?) is to make a simple beam model and add a point mass and then look at the equation used, and transpose to shell, something like Weak constraits: -mass*(u*test(u)+v*test(v)+w*test(w))*shell.iomega^2 -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年11月11日 GMT-5 10:50
Hi,

Thanks a lot Ivar. I am extremely sorry to disturb you once again with this simple question.

I am clearly able to put the weak constraints in comsol 3.5a and got the result. However, I am not able to know how to implement weak constraints in comsol 4.0a. Will you please spend some of your time to guide me how to do this ?

Thanks in advance,

Kiran
Hi, Thanks a lot Ivar. I am extremely sorry to disturb you once again with this simple question. I am clearly able to put the weak constraints in comsol 3.5a and got the result. However, I am not able to know how to implement weak constraints in comsol 4.0a. Will you please spend some of your time to guide me how to do this ? Thanks in advance, Kiran

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年11月11日 GMT-5 11:19
Hi

forgotten about that, have to check, as the weak constraints are not all 100% up to date I seem to remember, I'm already in 4.1 ;) will try to have a look tonight

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi forgotten about that, have to check, as the weak constraints are not all 100% up to date I seem to remember, I'm already in 4.1 ;) will try to have a look tonight -- Good luck Ivar

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年11月11日 GMT-5 11:32
Hi,

This should be straighforward in 4.0a: Right-click Shell and select Points>Weak Contribution to add a Weak Contribution node where you can enter the weak expresion.

The likely reason that you have not found it is that you have to activate the settings to show more options.
If you select "Show More Options" from the Model Builder window's View menu (the downward pointing triangle at the top of the Model Builder window) you get access to some advanced settings and additional properties such as weak contributions and weak constraints.

Best regards,
Magnus Ringh, COMSOL
Hi, This should be straighforward in 4.0a: Right-click Shell and select Points>Weak Contribution to add a Weak Contribution node where you can enter the weak expresion. The likely reason that you have not found it is that you have to activate the settings to show more options. If you select "Show More Options" from the Model Builder window's View menu (the downward pointing triangle at the top of the Model Builder window) you get access to some advanced settings and additional properties such as weak contributions and weak constraints. Best regards, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年11月11日 GMT-5 11:32
Hi Ivar,

Once again, Thanks a lot for your help.

Now, I am able to solve my problem. I have just changed the thickness of that surafce to add the mass of the additional body by doing some calculation, which gave me a correct result. By increasing the thickness of the surface, we are indirectly adding some weight on the plate, that's why it gave a nice result.

With Regards,

Kiran
Hi Ivar, Once again, Thanks a lot for your help. Now, I am able to solve my problem. I have just changed the thickness of that surafce to add the mass of the additional body by doing some calculation, which gave me a correct result. By increasing the thickness of the surface, we are indirectly adding some weight on the plate, that's why it gave a nice result. With Regards, Kiran

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年11月11日 GMT-5 13:59
Hi

As Borger said above you must activate the settings, furthermore, if I remember right (I do not have 4.0 here) you could only add one dof at the time, so you need to add three times u, v, w separately. I fellto remember his was corrected in 4.0a.

Now there is another way to cheat ;) you add a truss or beam physics, on the point (or if not possible on a single point add it on a line ending at te point). Then set the E,nu,rho such that he additional (line) stiffening is neglected, and add a point mass. One thing you need to ensure that you have the same dependent variable names:

_u_=(u,v,w) and NOT the default _u2_=(u2,v2,w2)

another thing, if you mix 3D and shell/beam be aware that you need to knit in the rotational dof of the shell beam truss to the 3D solid, which by default does not have any rigid body rotations defined. Futhermore, there seem to be an issue on the materials, you cannot, today up to 4.1 mix a material on a 3D and a 2D physics, you need to call in the material data twice, the error messages are somewhat cryptic to understand, I havnt had time to fully catch what is wrong, but something is not fully clean, therefore I tend to avoid mixing 3D and beam/shell/truss for the time being

I understood from support that this is being looked after for a future release

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi As Borger said above you must activate the settings, furthermore, if I remember right (I do not have 4.0 here) you could only add one dof at the time, so you need to add three times u, v, w separately. I fellto remember his was corrected in 4.0a. Now there is another way to cheat ;) you add a truss or beam physics, on the point (or if not possible on a single point add it on a line ending at te point). Then set the E,nu,rho such that he additional (line) stiffening is neglected, and add a point mass. One thing you need to ensure that you have the same dependent variable names: _u_=(u,v,w) and NOT the default _u2_=(u2,v2,w2) another thing, if you mix 3D and shell/beam be aware that you need to knit in the rotational dof of the shell beam truss to the 3D solid, which by default does not have any rigid body rotations defined. Futhermore, there seem to be an issue on the materials, you cannot, today up to 4.1 mix a material on a 3D and a 2D physics, you need to call in the material data twice, the error messages are somewhat cryptic to understand, I havnt had time to fully catch what is wrong, but something is not fully clean, therefore I tend to avoid mixing 3D and beam/shell/truss for the time being I understood from support that this is being looked after for a future release -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年11月11日 GMT-5 14:21
Hi

finally I found back my 4.0a ;) here is an example, the frequency changes but I havent checked the results

I added the mass as 5 (default kg) in the weak point expression, but you can as well use a parameter mp=5[kg] and replace the "5" by "mp" in the weak equation

And its not a "Shell point load" but a "point mass" for eigenfrequecy analysis ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi finally I found back my 4.0a ;) here is an example, the frequency changes but I havent checked the results I added the mass as 5 (default kg) in the weak point expression, but you can as well use a parameter mp=5[kg] and replace the "5" by "mp" in the weak equation And its not a "Shell point load" but a "point mass" for eigenfrequecy analysis ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月27日 GMT-4 23:34
Hi Ivar, since you have mentioned about point mass earlier, kindly I would like to ask your help on how to model distributed point masses in Comsol. I want to add the masses across a plate to increase the irregularities in the system.

Thanks,
Khairul
Hi Ivar, since you have mentioned about point mass earlier, kindly I would like to ask your help on how to model distributed point masses in Comsol. I want to add the masses across a plate to increase the irregularities in the system. Thanks, Khairul

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月28日 GMT-4 03:49
Hi

in COMSOL you BC field entries accept functions, not only variables, and in fact in COMSOL most "variables" are in fact implicit "fields" depending on the spatial and temporal arguments (x,y,z,t) or r ....

You can add, on a boundary (i.e. surface in 3D) a local mass density by adding in boolean equations for the localisation of the mass such as

rho*((x-x0)^2+(y-y0)^2)<R0)

such an approach is extensively used in the level set method in the chemistry model

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi in COMSOL you BC field entries accept functions, not only variables, and in fact in COMSOL most "variables" are in fact implicit "fields" depending on the spatial and temporal arguments (x,y,z,t) or r .... You can add, on a boundary (i.e. surface in 3D) a local mass density by adding in boolean equations for the localisation of the mass such as rho*((x-x0)^2+(y-y0)^2)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月28日 GMT-4 05:29
Ok, Thank Ivar for the quick response . I will try it first.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月28日 GMT-4 05:29

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月31日 GMT-4 00:36
Where exactly I need to put the equation what exactly the variable means? Sorry for troubling you but I'm new with comsol interface. Normally I used lsdyna for modelling.I tried here and there but nothing works. Is it in the weak constraint?

I'm using comsol 4.2 and my model construct in 3-D dimension. I found that there is 'point mass' option for beam and trusses in 2-D modelling but not in 3-D.
Where exactly I need to put the equation what exactly the variable means? Sorry for troubling you but I'm new with comsol interface. Normally I used lsdyna for modelling.I tried here and there but nothing works. Is it in the weak constraint? I'm using comsol 4.2 and my model construct in 3-D dimension. I found that there is 'point mass' option for beam and trusses in 2-D modelling but not in 3-D.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月31日 GMT-4 02:23
Hi

in the plate example on the top thread model you shoud add a "added mass"
Loads are ignored for eigenfrequency analysis

With the added mass use the same Total mass in all three directions. You could also add a surface mass density

Check all the right click menus and submenus on your nodes (note that these changes dynamically when you change main physics settings and or solver settings, so you might need to reclick over the same node to discover new items, if you have changed some of the basic settings of your physics

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi in the plate example on the top thread model you shoud add a "added mass" Loads are ignored for eigenfrequency analysis With the added mass use the same Total mass in all three directions. You could also add a surface mass density Check all the right click menus and submenus on your nodes (note that these changes dynamically when you change main physics settings and or solver settings, so you might need to reclick over the same node to discover new items, if you have changed some of the basic settings of your physics -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月31日 GMT-4 23:36
Thanks Ivar, I've tried the method. I noticed the added mass is across the surface. But what I want to find is point masses located on top of the plate.
Now I used poinwise constraint. I've selected several point and changed the expression to the one at the top of the thread.
-mass*(u*test(u)+v*test(v)+w*test(w))*pzd.omega^2. Is this correct?.

Plus, in plotting the graph, how to change energy density (J/m^3) into energy (J)? It will be very helpful if you can show me how you do it as well.

Thanks,
Khairul.
Thanks Ivar, I've tried the method. I noticed the added mass is across the surface. But what I want to find is point masses located on top of the plate. Now I used poinwise constraint. I've selected several point and changed the expression to the one at the top of the thread. -mass*(u*test(u)+v*test(v)+w*test(w))*pzd.omega^2. Is this correct?. Plus, in plotting the graph, how to change energy density (J/m^3) into energy (J)? It will be very helpful if you can show me how you do it as well. Thanks, Khairul.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年6月1日 GMT-4 01:43
Hi

you can go into the equations, but normally you can add point masses, at least in 4.,2a
And you have the RIGID Boundary

Sorry I see in 3D PZD there is no pointwise added mass (because its a severe "singularity" and causes often solving issues and loss of local precision)

your equation looks correct for the same mass in all three directions and in frequency domain solver mode, to be added as a Weak Pointwise Constraint. You can work by similarity from the equation view, indeed

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you can go into the equations, but normally you can add point masses, at least in 4.,2a And you have the RIGID Boundary Sorry I see in 3D PZD there is no pointwise added mass (because its a severe "singularity" and causes often solving issues and loss of local precision) your equation looks correct for the same mass in all three directions and in frequency domain solver mode, to be added as a Weak Pointwise Constraint. You can work by similarity from the equation view, indeed -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年6月3日 GMT-4 21:48
I think I had my answer now..
Thanks Ivar, all the best to you too..
I think I had my answer now.. Thanks Ivar, all the best to you too..

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年2月13日 GMT-5 02:21
Hi Ivar,

Regarding the total energy.
I've checked the forum and in my point of view, none have clearly describe about pzd.W_int (total energy)

my questions are:
1)how to use this variable in Comsol 4.2a?
2) what mechanical energy flux means? is it the same as kinetic energy?
3)In frequency domain analysis, if i add the strain energy (integrated over the volume) and mechanical energy (integrated over the volume and divided by 2*pi*freq), is it the same as total energy?
4) Is it possible to find strain energy of the pzd material, because so far I can't find the way..

Appreciated if you can reply. thanks

Hi Ivar, Regarding the total energy. I've checked the forum and in my point of view, none have clearly describe about pzd.W_int (total energy) my questions are: 1)how to use this variable in Comsol 4.2a? 2) what mechanical energy flux means? is it the same as kinetic energy? 3)In frequency domain analysis, if i add the strain energy (integrated over the volume) and mechanical energy (integrated over the volume and divided by 2*pi*freq), is it the same as total energy? 4) Is it possible to find strain energy of the pzd material, because so far I can't find the way.. Appreciated if you can reply. thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年2月13日 GMT-5 08:47
Hi

I agree I cannot really find the exact formula for W_tot in the doc, so one need to turn on the equation view and dig into the equations. What I do know is that it is a global variable integrated over the full model

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I agree I cannot really find the exact formula for W_tot in the doc, so one need to turn on the equation view and dig into the equations. What I do know is that it is a global variable integrated over the full model -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.