Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

thickness after deformation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi , am new to comsol and i was designing a structural model to find the thermal stress and displacement on a sold cylinder ( like a mirror ) with thickness 100[mm] and diameter 1m . i compiled and saw that there was a relative displacement of the solid from the initial position and a small thermal expansion seen on the horizontal axis . at his point i need to measure the change in diameter and thickness of the my solid cylinder . can you suggest me how to do this .

3 Replies Last Post 2016年6月10日 GMT-4 15:39
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年6月9日 GMT-4 03:19
Hi

there are several ways, also depending if you have turned the geometrical non-linear on.
Here is a toy model, the parameter are set to no thermal expansion DT=0 but to add thermal effects you can change DT to 10[K].

But first understand the different settings I have added hereby, there are elements under Definitions, in the Derived values and the Plots

Unfortunately I have only V5.2

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi there are several ways, also depending if you have turned the geometrical non-linear on. Here is a toy model, the parameter are set to no thermal expansion DT=0 but to add thermal effects you can change DT to 10[K]. But first understand the different settings I have added hereby, there are elements under Definitions, in the Derived values and the Plots Unfortunately I have only V5.2 -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年6月10日 GMT-4 00:27
thanks Ivar
i am using a version 5 and i can't open the file from version 5.2 . Am getting a error " model build with a different version of Comsol Multiphysics ". In my model i have not turned the geometrical non linear ON .
Is there any other way to measure the expansion measure ?
thanks Ivar i am using a version 5 and i can't open the file from version 5.2 . Am getting a error " model build with a different version of Comsol Multiphysics ". In my model i have not turned the geometrical non linear ON . Is there any other way to measure the expansion measure ?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年6月10日 GMT-4 15:39
Hi

Sorry to hear you cannot read my 5.2 file, I do neither not have any way to generate an older model and as there are quite some nodes in there, not obvious to explain all settings ...

I join the file saved as an ".m" matlab model file, perhaps you can manage to read that one

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Sorry to hear you cannot read my 5.2 file, I do neither not have any way to generate an older model and as there are quite some nodes in there, not obvious to explain all settings ... I join the file saved as an ".m" matlab model file, perhaps you can manage to read that one -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.