Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

BC contains dependent variable evaluated at boundary

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,

I am trying to solve a 1-D steady state differential equation. One of the boundary condition (BC) is such that I am trying to evaluate the dependent variable at the boundary.
BC: Flux @ boundary 1 = f(dependent variable) @ boundary 1

I read in another discussion that using projection operators may do the trick.

However I tried using linear extrusion, general extrusion as well as the projection operators. None of these seem to evaluate the BC correctly which includes evaluation of dependent variable at the boundary.

Would appreciate if someone gives me a hint and if I am on the right path to solve the problem.

Thank you
Vishnu

1 Reply Last Post 2016年6月27日 GMT-4 08:54
Frank van Gool COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年6月27日 GMT-4 08:54
Dear Vishnu,

If you want to use the value of the dependent variable on the same boundary, you can use it directly in the boundary conditions field.

Eg. you can prescribe a heat flux as "12*(293.15-T)" . T is then the temperature at that boundary.
You need an extrusion coupling only if you want to use the temperature at another boundary.

Best regards,
Frank
Dear Vishnu, If you want to use the value of the dependent variable on the same boundary, you can use it directly in the boundary conditions field. Eg. you can prescribe a heat flux as "12*(293.15-T)" . T is then the temperature at that boundary. You need an extrusion coupling only if you want to use the temperature at another boundary. Best regards, Frank

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.