Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

modelling Y shaped tubes connector

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All.
I write in this forum becacuse i wanted to ask your opinion. Attached two photo of the geometry of the modelling. Both of them represent a Y shaped tube connector, one geometry has a long tube after the Y connector (geometry 1) and the other has long tubes after and before the connector (geometry two).
two fluids (water) initially at a different pressure go in the y connector so we have two inlet pressure conditions and one outlet pressure condition (atmospheric pressure). The goal is to see how much fluid 1 and fluid 2 are present in the outlet tube after the Y shaped connector.

i've tried the simulation even with the same two pressure and the results is clear: 50% of the first fluid and 50% of the other are present in the ending tube.

But i'm not be able to interpret the results when i put different pressures as 3 bar and 4 bar as inlet conditions. (theese results are attached at this post)
It seems that In the case of the Y shaped connector without long inlet tubes the higher pressure fluid block the fluid at a lower pressure letting only a sort of slip between two fluids and creating reflows of the lower pressure fluid in the inlet tube of the higher pressure tube.

In the case of the connector in which the inlet is made by two long tubes like the oulet the result is completely different: both the fluids go in the outlet tube but with different percentage proportionally with the two different pressure.

Can you explain me why, using the same boundary conditions and the same mesh, the results are so different and can you tell me which of the results is right according to the goal of the simulation?
It's obvious that the real problem of this simulation has long tubes as inlet of the connector because if there's a connector there will be also two inlet tubes.... but i didn't expect two so different results

thank you

0 Replies Last Post 2016年7月2日 GMT-4 03:12
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Ugo Gorini

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.