Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

2D physics to a 3D shell model

Mohammed Ayyoub Kabachi

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

HI

How to model a 3D part in a 2D shell geometry and apply 2D physics ? I have a simple geometry of a very thin composites part which i apply vacuum in the borders and extract pressure values, the geometry is an hemisphere in the middle of square and i wanna apply 2D physics model, the issue is that i couldn't do it by selecting the 2D space dimensions and when i tried to extract the surface from the 3D model that export it the the 2D it didn't work .

Best regards

Ayyoub KABACHI

Labo GeM Ecole Centrale de Nantes

1 Reply Last Post 2016年7月5日 GMT-4 08:37
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年7月5日 GMT-4 08:37
Hello Ayyoub,

Midsurfacing (i.e. turning a thin solid object into its midsurface) is a capability found in the Design Module: www.comsol.com/design-module .

Regarding solving a 2D equation on a manifold in 3D space, there are such formulations implemented in COMSOL for various physics, including solid mechanics, diffusion, electricity, etc. An example is found here: www.comsol.com/model/shell-diffusion-in-a-tank-222

Best regards,
Jeff
Hello Ayyoub, Midsurfacing (i.e. turning a thin solid object into its midsurface) is a capability found in the Design Module: https://www.comsol.com/design-module . Regarding solving a 2D equation on a manifold in 3D space, there are such formulations implemented in COMSOL for various physics, including solid mechanics, diffusion, electricity, etc. An example is found here: https://www.comsol.com/model/shell-diffusion-in-a-tank-222 Best regards, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.