Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

in core memory

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I get a problem when solving a fine mesh domain.

The warning is "the system is out of memory"

I checked the user guide and found that the in core memory setting, which is 512 MB in default, must be changed. But I couldn't find out how to do it. Will you please help me.

Thanks.

Atilla

3 Replies Last Post 2010年12月5日 GMT-5 03:35
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年12月4日 GMT-5 07:52
Hi

I do not believe its the ram of the java, and for the rest COMSOL trakes what is available on the PC, so you hould rather check the number of nodes and elements xou have, and find out how many dof and what that represents w.r.t your available RAM, it very easy to mesh a system to demand 2-3 times the available RAM and then you get such errors

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I do not believe its the ram of the java, and for the rest COMSOL trakes what is available on the PC, so you hould rather check the number of nodes and elements xou have, and find out how many dof and what that represents w.r.t your available RAM, it very easy to mesh a system to demand 2-3 times the available RAM and then you get such errors -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年12月4日 GMT-5 08:45
Ivar,

I wanted to refine my mesh because I could not get convergence. The problem I deal with is a higly non-linear and coupled . The paper about the same problem published in the Comsol Conference use 2.000.000 dof, but I cannot do this on my laptop. So I just want to be on the safe side and refine my mesh as much as possible. The biggest dof I can give is 50.000.

On the bottom right corner of the comsol screen you see the memory usage, when it comes to approximately 500 MB the "out of memory" error appers. There must be a way to enlarge this 512 MB value.

Atilla
Ivar, I wanted to refine my mesh because I could not get convergence. The problem I deal with is a higly non-linear and coupled . The paper about the same problem published in the Comsol Conference use 2.000.000 dof, but I cannot do this on my laptop. So I just want to be on the safe side and refine my mesh as much as possible. The biggest dof I can give is 50.000. On the bottom right corner of the comsol screen you see the memory usage, when it comes to approximately 500 MB the "out of memory" error appers. There must be a way to enlarge this 512 MB value. Atilla

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年12月5日 GMT-5 03:35
Hi

I'm not sure that it's just telling what it uses of the free RAM and thagt there is only 512 left. There are a few discussions on the Forum, and in the knowledge base concerning java heap settings, but I do not think that is involved in the solver, it's more for the pre-postprocessing.

Do not forget that even if you have 2Gb RAM, the OS uses 1-1.5Gb by its own and if you have windows this is particularly well known for not giving any RAM back, LINUX/UNIX are mostly better to handle and free RAM for its running applications.

One way around is to stop all unwanted programmes and services to free RAM. Then you could use processexplorer (procexp) from www.sysinternals.com (now microsoft) to check how your RAM is used (but his programme too needs some RAM when its running). Finally when I ran COMSOL on my laptop and had large models, I noticed that I gained some ram for the solver by using COMSOL in the server - client mode (see the installation doc), as the server while solving, shuffles out the client efficiently.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure that it's just telling what it uses of the free RAM and thagt there is only 512 left. There are a few discussions on the Forum, and in the knowledge base concerning java heap settings, but I do not think that is involved in the solver, it's more for the pre-postprocessing. Do not forget that even if you have 2Gb RAM, the OS uses 1-1.5Gb by its own and if you have windows this is particularly well known for not giving any RAM back, LINUX/UNIX are mostly better to handle and free RAM for its running applications. One way around is to stop all unwanted programmes and services to free RAM. Then you could use processexplorer (procexp) from www.sysinternals.com (now microsoft) to check how your RAM is used (but his programme too needs some RAM when its running). Finally when I ran COMSOL on my laptop and had large models, I noticed that I gained some ram for the solver by using COMSOL in the server - client mode (see the installation doc), as the server while solving, shuffles out the client efficiently. -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.