Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

COMSOL crashes suddenly after reaching a certain amount of RAM

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there,

I am trying to solve a fairly simple model of two concentric cylinders with the inner one rotating and the external one fixed.
The model has a fairly large mesh so I am running it on my desktop computer with Windows 7 Enterprise, Service Pack 1, 64-bit and 32 GB of RAM.
During LU factorization the solver abruptly stops working when the total RAM occupied (seen from Task Manager) is approximately XXX, way below 32 GB. As a side note, I am running with a Direct Solver since Iterative ones seem to fail under the fluid dynamic conditions I am working with.
Does anyone have any suggestion on what can be the case of this issue?

I am attaching a screenshot of the "just after crash". The total memory usage just before the crash was approximately 12-15 GB.

Many thanks,

Jacopo

0 Replies Last Post 2016年7月6日 GMT-4 10:05
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jacopo Biasetti

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.