Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electrical potential distribution in electrostatics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm going to simulate a multiple-layer structure with charge induction after friction. The material of the central domain is aluminum in which surface charge density of its top and bottom surfaces are set to be 1.14*10e-4 C/m2. And materials of the arch-shaped domains are respectively PDMS (a polymer) and aluminum from inside to outside. So I defined the surface charge density of the bottom surface of upper PDMS and top surface of lower PDMS to be -1.3*10e-4 C/m2.

But I can't obtain the expected electrical potential distribution just like the figure shows. The central domain of the expected figure shows a well-distributed electrical potential instead of almost zero even negative electrical potential in my simulation.

So is there anyone give me some hints for that problem?I personally guess that may be I forgot add some necessary boundaries. But I really has no clue. Thanks in advance.

2 Replies Last Post 2016年7月22日 GMT-4 05:05

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年7月20日 GMT-4 12:57
I've found that the solution given by COMSOL is usually correct given how I've formulated the problem. If I'm confused, what I usually do is to simplify the geometry and boundaries so that the solution is obvious from basic physics. That generally causes me to see my formulation mistake.

By the way, in this case, since you're questioning positive and negative, I'm curious where/how did you define ground?
I've found that the solution given by COMSOL is usually correct given how I've formulated the problem. If I'm confused, what I usually do is to simplify the geometry and boundaries so that the solution is obvious from basic physics. That generally causes me to see my formulation mistake. By the way, in this case, since you're questioning positive and negative, I'm curious where/how did you define ground?

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年7月22日 GMT-4 05:05
Hi Chris

Thank you very much for your reply. I'll try a much simpler geometry to see if it works.

Actually, I didn't define ground. All boundaries that I defined are Charge Conservation, Zero Charge, Initial Values, Electric Potential (set zero), Surface charge density of boundaries. Does the ground will affect the simulation result? If it does, which boundary should I set for the ground?

Best regards
Hi Chris Thank you very much for your reply. I'll try a much simpler geometry to see if it works. Actually, I didn't define ground. All boundaries that I defined are Charge Conservation, Zero Charge, Initial Values, Electric Potential (set zero), Surface charge density of boundaries. Does the ground will affect the simulation result? If it does, which boundary should I set for the ground? Best regards

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.