Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Compute traveling wave solution to PDE as a time-independent problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello All,

I encounter a problem in which I need to to find the traveling wave solution to a PDE, for example

du/dt = d^2(u)/dx^2 + u*(1-u)

After substituting the traveling wave ansatz u(x,t) = w(s=x-vt) into the above equation, it becomes an ODE with an unknown velocity v:

-v*dw/ds = d^2(w)/ds^2 + w*(1-w)

I'm wondering if there's a way to solve such an equation in COMSOL as a time-independent problem. Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Ming

0 Replies Last Post 2016年7月21日 GMT-4 12:35
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Ming Tang

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.