Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem in Eigenfrequency calculus for piezoelectric model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi.

I'm trying to studi a piezoelectric model of a transducer. In my project, I create two simulation, a frequency domain simulation and an eigenfrequency.

The frequency domain simulation is right, and I've resonances that agree with experimental results, but when I calculate eigenmodes for the same model, I've got some warning, and eigenfrequency values have no-sense for me, both in values and displacement of the model.

What's the right setting for a good eigenfrequency analysis?

I'm using Comsol 4.0.0.982 on Windows 7 64bit.

3 Replies Last Post 2010年12月29日 GMT-5 04:04
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年12月22日 GMT-5 15:21
Hi

if your device is free hanging in space you shouldexpect at least 6 modes around 0Hz, in your sphereical symmetry wth fluid damping you could even have a few degenerated so you have pobably more than 6 modes close to "0", then you will see higher modes

then you could specify n modes around 1 higher frequency than "0Hz"

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if your device is free hanging in space you shouldexpect at least 6 modes around 0Hz, in your sphereical symmetry wth fluid damping you could even have a few degenerated so you have pobably more than 6 modes close to "0", then you will see higher modes then you could specify n modes around 1 higher frequency than "0Hz" -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年12月28日 GMT-5 13:34
Hi. Thank you for your reply.

I've tried to find eigenfrequencies around a value, but I don't find anything. frequencies are always complex, and are random, both positive and negative values, and are not close to my search frequency (30kHz).

I've also noticed a warning in the solver, giving message like this one:

"The relative residual is greater than the relative tolerance.
Relative residual 4.8e+003"

Maybe it can be the problem? How can I solve it?
Hi. Thank you for your reply. I've tried to find eigenfrequencies around a value, but I don't find anything. frequencies are always complex, and are random, both positive and negative values, and are not close to my search frequency (30kHz). I've also noticed a warning in the solver, giving message like this one: "The relative residual is greater than the relative tolerance. Relative residual 4.8e+003" Maybe it can be the problem? How can I solve it?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年12月29日 GMT-5 04:04
Hi

which values do you get ? for me it looks like you have not got your model "fixed" well enough or some BC are missing, but hat is just a "guess" not knowing more about your case.

The warning message could come from a too coarse mesh, it happens less often in v4.1

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi which values do you get ? for me it looks like you have not got your model "fixed" well enough or some BC are missing, but hat is just a "guess" not knowing more about your case. The warning message could come from a too coarse mesh, it happens less often in v4.1 -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.