Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

1D integration in 3D domain, need help

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, All,

It is a static thermal conduction problem. The geometry is a cubic. The heat source is:
Q=[1-f(T)]*exp(-Int(g(x,y,z,T), 0, z))
T is the temperature.
f(T) is a 2D function of the surface temperature at z=0.
Int(g(T), 0, z)): means integration of g(T) from z=0 to z. g(T) is a function of the temperature in 3D.

So, I need help on two things:
1, f(T) is defined on the surface, but used in the 3D heat source. How to do that?
2, How to do the integration?

For 2, I tried to use an additional function: h(x,y,z,T), and make dh/dz=-g(T)h. For example, if g(T)=1, the function is dh/dz=h, and the boundary condition is h=const.. This method works well in 2D, not in 3D. see post:
www.comsol.eu/community/forums/general/thread/439/

Thanks a lot for your helps (in advance for this problem).

Best,
Jiang

1 Reply Last Post 2011年1月22日 GMT-5 16:08
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jiangjun Zheng

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年1月22日 GMT-5 16:08
Hi

Try the following:

First in 2D (x,y) load the heat Convection_2D.mph of the model library

Try with a "Boundary Projection Variable" of "General Transformation" type, orientation "y", call it Tx0 on Boundary of "1" x=0 and use T as variable. Then select destination domain and select all your "domains" and orientation y.

Then Tx0(y) = T(x=0,y) in the full domain

Then you can extrapolate to 3D, no ?

I would try an integration coupling variable on the domain for your integration

Check the doc and try these coupling variables on simple cases

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Try the following: First in 2D (x,y) load the heat Convection_2D.mph of the model library Try with a "Boundary Projection Variable" of "General Transformation" type, orientation "y", call it Tx0 on Boundary of "1" x=0 and use T as variable. Then select destination domain and select all your "domains" and orientation y. Then Tx0(y) = T(x=0,y) in the full domain Then you can extrapolate to 3D, no ? I would try an integration coupling variable on the domain for your integration Check the doc and try these coupling variables on simple cases -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.