Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Inconsistent units

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I prescribed an oscillating inlet velocity boundary condition of the form u*sin(w*t) [say for example 20*sin(20*pi*t)] to a simple 3D cylindrical geometry.Once prescribed in this form, in the boundary settings dialog box only it is indicating 'inconsistent unit' and the unit 'm/s' will turn into a red colour.Can anyone help to find what exactly the problem is..
Thanks,
S.M.Ananth

5 Replies Last Post 2010年12月28日 GMT-5 15:33
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年12月22日 GMT-5 08:17
Hi

In v4 red is an error in the formula (might be your use of u,v,w that are already used internally by COMSOL => variable name conflict). orange is a unit error. note that most functions sin, cos analyitcal ... requires dimensonless inputs ad are dimensonless at output, so

sin(20*pi*t)

is wrong as it should read

sin((20*pi)[1/s]*t)

or

sin(20*pi*t[1/s])

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi In v4 red is an error in the formula (might be your use of u,v,w that are already used internally by COMSOL => variable name conflict). orange is a unit error. note that most functions sin, cos analyitcal ... requires dimensonless inputs ad are dimensonless at output, so sin(20*pi*t) is wrong as it should read sin((20*pi)[1/s]*t) or sin(20*pi*t[1/s]) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年12月22日 GMT-5 13:48
Dear sir,
Thanks a lot for the help.Eventhough it was a simpe mistake(but serious) I couldn't figure out.
S.M.Ananth
Dear sir, Thanks a lot for the help.Eventhough it was a simpe mistake(but serious) I couldn't figure out. S.M.Ananth

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年12月22日 GMT-5 16:20
Hi Ivar,

I am using a function loaded from a .txt file. The name of the function is say fheat and in the .txt file it is given as:

%x y z fheat
0 0 0 1
0.1 0 0 1
..... etc.

Now, when I am using this function (fheat) in the COMSOL model, I get an 'inconsistent unit' warning. I am expecting that this function should be unitless because I haven't specified otherwise. Any thoughts?

Thanks much,

Deb
Hi Ivar, I am using a function loaded from a .txt file. The name of the function is say fheat and in the .txt file it is given as: %x y z fheat 0 0 0 1 0.1 0 0 1 ..... etc. Now, when I am using this function (fheat) in the COMSOL model, I get an 'inconsistent unit' warning. I am expecting that this function should be unitless because I haven't specified otherwise. Any thoughts? Thanks much, Deb

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年12月22日 GMT-5 16:41
Hi

how do you call it up ?
if you use yourFunction(x,y,z) the three x,y,z have units, but COMSOL would expect none so here to you should use:

yourFunction(x[1/m],y[1/m],z [1/m])

or whatever fits. Anyhow units orange warnings are not errors and Comsol solves further anyhow, it is just telling us that here there might be something wrong

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi how do you call it up ? if you use yourFunction(x,y,z) the three x,y,z have units, but COMSOL would expect none so here to you should use: yourFunction(x[1/m],y[1/m],z [1/m]) or whatever fits. Anyhow units orange warnings are not errors and Comsol solves further anyhow, it is just telling us that here there might be something wrong -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年12月28日 GMT-5 15:33
Ivar, Just wanted to let you know that your advice worked perfectly. Thanks!

DD
Ivar, Just wanted to let you know that your advice worked perfectly. Thanks! DD

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.