Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Error-Failed to find consistent initial values

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I have a cylindrical 3D geometry with inflow boundary condition of 20*sin(w*t) [where w=3.2892 ] and 1e5 Pa pressure as exit boundary condition.I set the subdomain initial pressure to be 1e5 Pa.When I try to run this problem it is displaying the error message-'Failed to find consistent initial values'.To tackle this I tried the following:

1) Prescribed 20m/s as inlet velocity condition with exit pressure=1e5 Pa for a steady case and set this steady
solution as the initial condition for my unsteady problem.

2)As a second step I tried to find out the consistent initial values for the unsteady case by going to 'SOLVER
PARAMETERS-TIME STEPPING-TIME STEPS TAKEN BY SOLVER -INITIALISATION ONLY'(directly going into this
step without doing the first doesn't work out)

After the second step settings when I ran the problem hoping that I will get the consisitent initial values I got he
same error message as earlier.

Also the point to be noted is that by following the above procedure I could solve the same problem with inlet
velocity condition alone changed to 20+20*sin(w*t), other condition remaining the same.

I tried the above problem in 2D axisymmetric.There also it didn't work out.

Can anyone help me regarding how to correct this error..

with thanks and regards,
S.M.Ananth

Happy X-mas

1 Reply Last Post 2010年12月25日 GMT-5 05:12
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年12月25日 GMT-5 05:12
Hi

I'm not sure its te reason, but a sinus functions start at t=0 with a rather high derivative (which is - or might be wrongly - estimated and used by the iterative solver). Have you tried to start your function by multiplying it with a small step function to get a smoother start ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure its te reason, but a sinus functions start at t=0 with a rather high derivative (which is - or might be wrongly - estimated and used by the iterative solver). Have you tried to start your function by multiplying it with a small step function to get a smoother start ? -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.