Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

RF modeling in relatively big structure

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I’m trying to model RF communication in industrial medium. So a 3D CAD file is imported into COMSOL with dimensions 20x12.5x4.5 [m] representing the harsh industrial environment with pillars and metallic obstacles. Then I model a dipole antenna operating at 2.4 GHz, and I wish to simulate for the field and power in the environment. However, I’m facing a big problem: 2.4 GHz makes lambda= 0.125 m. And for the solution to have any meaning at all, the mesh size must at least fulfill the Nyquist criterion, meaning that the maximum element size= lambda/2. This divides the domain into a very big number of elements that any ordinary computer could not solve. A rough estimation gives that it is needed a supercomputer with more than 4000 GB RAM !!!
I was wondering if there is any method that I could simulate the system with reasonable specification and obtain the required solution, knowing that no high precision is required…

Thank you

0 Replies Last Post 2011年1月14日 GMT-5 09:25
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Amr Habib

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.