Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

dimensionless NS equations

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to model phase separation occuring in a biodiesel reactor. I am couping NS equations with Cahn-Hilliard equations in PDE format. I ran into some convergence problems with dimensional variables so I thought to move to using dimensionless equations instead. Using some literature cited scaling, the non-dimension NS equations were as follows: Re*rho*du/dt = -del(P) + eta*del(v)^2 + rho1*cB/Ca/Ch*rho*(mu1*del(c1))

How do I input the Reynolds number in the Comsol format of the NS equations? Do I have to change the format? Please help.

Thank you

Sincerely,
Lu

3 Replies Last Post 2011年1月26日 GMT-5 15:21
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年1月21日 GMT-5 01:44
Hi

do not forget that you have the scaling parameters in the solver so this means for me that you can keep the units and use scalings to normalize when needed. Comsol is rather good to propose itself reasonable scaling factors, but you might need to fine tweak. There is also often an option to ask for verbose log that gives more info (not that much, I'm missing a level "2" to better understand the underlaying).

I have only observed during some of the COMSOL courses how the "teachers" played with these parameters, there are also a few of the model library items that require manual scaling

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi do not forget that you have the scaling parameters in the solver so this means for me that you can keep the units and use scalings to normalize when needed. Comsol is rather good to propose itself reasonable scaling factors, but you might need to fine tweak. There is also often an option to ask for verbose log that gives more info (not that much, I'm missing a level "2" to better understand the underlaying). I have only observed during some of the COMSOL courses how the "teachers" played with these parameters, there are also a few of the model library items that require manual scaling -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年1月26日 GMT-5 14:30
Thank you for your input. You discussed that there are scaling parameters already built in the solver for normalization. Can you point them out where they are documented and if they can be changed?
For example, pressure should be normalized by: (pressure)*(length) / (velocity) / (density)
and viscosity should be normalized by: viscosity * (interfacial length)^2 / (gradient density parameter)/ (bulk concentration)

Thank you,
Lu
Thank you for your input. You discussed that there are scaling parameters already built in the solver for normalization. Can you point them out where they are documented and if they can be changed? For example, pressure should be normalized by: (pressure)*(length) / (velocity) / (density) and viscosity should be normalized by: viscosity * (interfacial length)^2 / (gradient density parameter)/ (bulk concentration) Thank you, Lu

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年1月26日 GMT-5 15:21
Hi

in some solver settings they can be adapted, these are numerical scaling parameters, and I believe without "units", but I haven't really though about the unit aspect (to be verified with COMSOL support).

These scaling parameters are described briefly in the solver section. And then, somewhere in some of the 4.1 solver windows you have a "verbose" option for the log file that gives you some more info, including scaling values

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi in some solver settings they can be adapted, these are numerical scaling parameters, and I believe without "units", but I haven't really though about the unit aspect (to be verified with COMSOL support). These scaling parameters are described briefly in the solver section. And then, somewhere in some of the 4.1 solver windows you have a "verbose" option for the log file that gives you some more info, including scaling values -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.