Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modeling Static Electric Discharge in a simple surface

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Can COMSOL model the charge distribution on a simple surface when a static discharge occurs? For example a discharge that occurs into a small aluminum plate.

Can it do it over time?

3 Replies Last Post 2011年2月1日 GMT-5 15:46
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年2月1日 GMT-5 02:36
Hi

if you can define the physics allowing to transfer the charges, and the expected time variation then I believe so. Basically if you can describe the physics with the corresponding equations, and you know the boundary conditions of your physics, then COMSOL can solve the equations for you

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you can define the physics allowing to transfer the charges, and the expected time variation then I believe so. Basically if you can describe the physics with the corresponding equations, and you know the boundary conditions of your physics, then COMSOL can solve the equations for you -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年2月1日 GMT-5 13:55
Ok, so there are no built in physics for this, but it is possible with some work on my end. Correct?
Ok, so there are no built in physics for this, but it is possible with some work on my end. Correct?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年2月1日 GMT-5 15:46
Hi

It all depends how you define your "discharge" and the physics you need for it.
You have also the plasma models, (I do not have them) but some lightening stricking effects can certainly be approaches if not correctly simulated. In anycase COMSOL or not, you neeed to have a clear representation of the physics you want to simulate, their interrelationship(s) and all the boundary conditins to get an unique solution

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi It all depends how you define your "discharge" and the physics you need for it. You have also the plasma models, (I do not have them) but some lightening stricking effects can certainly be approaches if not correctly simulated. In anycase COMSOL or not, you neeed to have a clear representation of the physics you want to simulate, their interrelationship(s) and all the boundary conditins to get an unique solution -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.