Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Strange results in tube particle tracing animation - fluid flow - 4.0a

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

Under Linux in 4.0a I try to solve a basic particle tracing problem of hydraulics, in a tube with water running through it.

The attached file has the model.

When I set up to 4 bursts of particles, all are shown to run smoothly all the way to the end.

However with 5 or more, always the 2nd burst, passing a point, gets attached to the first burst.

The interesting thing is that the higher the number of bursts, the higher in the tube the second burst gets attached to the first.

i.e. with five bursts, they get attached at about y=0.2, however with eight bursts they get attached at about y=0.3!

I tried to animate with flash, change tube dimensions, change the FE canvas from quad to anything else, but I always get the same results.

Could someone be kind enough to have a look and give some food for thoughts?

I attach the model, and three animations with four, six and eight bursts.

Best Regards,

Theophanis

PS: What should I do in order to have the visualization edges, be shrinked almost to the bottom and upper edges of the tube, instead of having all this space up and down?

PS2: Is there any way to add a time counter to the visualization?

1 Reply Last Post 2011年2月6日 GMT-5 06:32
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年2月6日 GMT-5 06:32
Hi

my only remark would be update to 4.1, as there are several weaknesses in the early 4.0.
Unfortunately, I have not used the particle tracking feature, so I have no experience with it, so far for v4

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi my only remark would be update to 4.1, as there are several weaknesses in the early 4.0. Unfortunately, I have not used the particle tracking feature, so I have no experience with it, so far for v4 -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.