Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Error in Simple Heat Transfer/Fluid Flow Model (Beginner)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am new to comsol, and am trying to modify a tutorial I've found to build a model for a slightly different situation. The model is found here: (www.comsol.com/model/free-convection-in-a-water-glass-195). My model is similar, as I am trying to find the temperature and flow distribution in a tank full of water with a heating element in the middle. However, when I try to compute my model the temperature distribution and velocity distribution don't seem to make sense to me. I would have expected more temperature increase and a larger distribution in flow velocities, with the greatest velocitys around the heat source.

EDIT: Do I need the heat transfer module for this? I don't think the comsol I am using has it.

Thank you,
Andrew

3 Replies Last Post 2017年5月1日 GMT-4 23:14
Nicholas Goldring Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年5月1日 GMT-4 03:28
The only way to see why you aren't getting the results you are expecting is if you upload your model. To get it in to a size that's small enough to upload, right click the study node and clear solutions, or clear the solutions/meshes on the ribbon.

--
Nick
The only way to see why you aren't getting the results you are expecting is if you upload your model. To get it in to a size that's small enough to upload, right click the study node and clear solutions, or clear the solutions/meshes on the ribbon. -- Nick

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年5月1日 GMT-4 21:19
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the catch! I thought I had uploaded it but I guess it didn't because I hadn't cleared the solutions; I was in rush.
Hi Nick, Thanks for the catch! I thought I had uploaded it but I guess it didn't because I hadn't cleared the solutions; I was in rush.

Nicholas Goldring Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年5月1日 GMT-4 23:14

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the catch! I thought I had uploaded it but I guess it didn't because I hadn't cleared the solutions; I was in rush.

No problem! I'll take a look at it this weekend and see if I can sort anything out for you. I've spent countless hours myself trying to properly analyze my models. Not to mention all of the awesome help that I've had from support.

--
Nick
[QUOTE] Hi Nick, Thanks for the catch! I thought I had uploaded it but I guess it didn't because I hadn't cleared the solutions; I was in rush. [/QUOTE] No problem! I'll take a look at it this weekend and see if I can sort anything out for you. I've spent countless hours myself trying to properly analyze my models. Not to mention all of the awesome help that I've had from support. -- Nick

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.