Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Create Geometry from Mesh - Failed to form solid object

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Good afternoon,

I hope you can help me with my following problem.

My task is to create a flow simulation over a mountain range. My aim is to import a surface geometry from MATLAB, which will be implemented in a rectangular flow canal created with the "Block" function. The imported geometry will be subtracted from the block with "Booleans and Partitions --> Difference". Inlet, Outlet, Material etc. will be defined afterwards in COMSOL.

To start things of I created a fairly easy and small surface geometry with mesh(X,Y,Z) in MATLAB and exported the data to a .stl file (Can't attach the file, I'm sorry) in order to import it to COMSOL. For the import, I followed the instructions from a YouTube tutorial. After loading the .stl file I tried to convert the mesh into a geometry, as shown in the tutorial: "How to Convert an Imported Mesh to a Geometry in COMSOL Multiphysics". After the conversion I get following warning message: Failed to form solid object!

My exact steps were:
- Open COMSOL
- Model Wizard --> 3D Model --> Done
- Right-Click Mesh --> Import --> Source: STL/VRML file --> Browse: boden.stl --> Import (Boundary Partitioning left to: automatic)
- Right-Click Mesh --> Create Geometry from Mesh
Now, under Component 2 -> Geometry 2-> Import 1, I get the warning: failed to form solid object!

Why do I get this warning and how do I solve the problem, especially to reach my goal I mentioned at the beginning?
Have I approached this problem right?

I will attach a COMSOL file with all the steps I mentioned above.

Best regards

0 Replies Last Post 2017年5月19日 GMT-4 11:38
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Chris Krapf

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.