Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Can comsol distinguish between longitudinal, transverse, and torsional eigenfrequencies?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have performed an eigenfrequency study on a simple cylinder with no boundary constraints. I am basically trying to replicate this comsol example but for a solid cylinder instead of a hollow one: www.comsol.com/model/eigenfrequency-analysis-of-a-free-cylinder-271

I can have comsol produce the first 10 or 15 eigenfrequencies and go through them by hand, inspecting the plots to see which frequency corresponds to transverse, longitudinal, and torsional modes. I have 64 different cylinders to model however so this will get tedious quickly. Is there a way to have comsol detect which type of mode is which and produce a list of only those respective frequencies?

I have tried putting in a guess value for a frequency corresponding to each mode and asking comsol to find the frequency closest to that one. This often fails, especially around the transverse and torsional modes which are nearly degenerate for most of my cylinders. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

0 Replies Last Post 2017年7月5日 GMT-4 19:35
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Henry F

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.