Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Use of moving wall in COMSOL?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm trying to simulate a rigid object moving in a rigid fluid-filled channel in COMSOL. The inlet provides a velocity for the non-compressible fluid, which pushes the object. No problem so far, this works fine for time-dependent studies in 2D.

The issue is that I want to move to 3D, and I think that will become very computationally expensive. It was suggested that I use snapshots of static studies (it's Stokes flow, so supposedly that's ok -- regardless, that's a different issue), rather than doing time-dependent studies. But, a static study won't converge (which makes sense because there is no steady state given the continuous movement of the object down the channel).

I was told the solution to this was to use a moving wall. I have spent hours trying to figure out how to do this, and learned nearly nothing. The 1000+ page COMSOL reference guide has one paragraph on moving walls, and essentially says "If you use a moving wall, u = u sub w." Not very informative.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could explain the theory of a moving wall in general (why and when is it used), and how it applies to this problem specifically (where does the wall go, and what are the parameters).

Thank you!

0 Replies Last Post 2017年8月22日 GMT-4 13:26
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Thomas Brian

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.