Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Eigenfrequency Analysis with a hole in the structure

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I am trying to make a very basic Eigenfrequency analysis. I have attached geometry which has a cylindrical hole in the middle. However Comsol wants me to assign a material through the hole as well where the hole suppose to be void.

Although I bypassed this problem by assigning Air into the hole and defined Poisson's ratio and Young's Modulus as zero, I am not sure if it is a proper solution.

I thank you in advance for your help, Best regards,

2 Replies Last Post 2017年12月6日 GMT-5 10:29
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年12月6日 GMT-5 08:56
Updated: 7 years ago 2017年12月6日 GMT-5 08:58

Hello Osman,

If you do not want to solve any equation in a particular part of your geometry (here, your cylinder), you should simply remove it from the geometry (Geometry>Boolean Operations>Difference).

If you need to solve some equations but not others in a part of your geometry, you need to be a bit more subtle and assign different domains to the different physics interfaces. From your post, this does not appear to be your case, but I am mentioning this for others who may read this thread some day.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Osman, If you do not want to solve any equation in a particular part of your geometry (here, your cylinder), you should simply remove it from the geometry (Geometry>Boolean Operations>Difference). If you need to solve some equations but not others in a part of your geometry, you need to be a bit more subtle and assign different domains to the different physics interfaces. From your post, this does not appear to be your case, but I am mentioning this for others who may read this thread some day. Best, Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年12月6日 GMT-5 10:29

Thank you very much for your response Jeff!

Actually I tried the "Difference" and I had the same problem. However I have just noticed that, "Keep input objects" were thicked under the Difference. I am sorry.

Thanks a lot again,

Best, Osman

Thank you very much for your response Jeff! Actually I tried the "Difference" and I had the same problem. However I have just noticed that, "Keep input objects" were thicked under the Difference. I am sorry. Thanks a lot again, Best, Osman

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.